Community Calendar for Thursday July 12, 2018
- Nutritious summer meals are provided to kids 18 and under, free of charge weekdays through the Summer Food Service Meal Program. Breakfast and lunch are served at the Warm Springs Youth Center from 8:45-9:15 and 12-12:30; and at two schools in Madras – Buff Elementary from 8-8:30 and 11:30-noon and at Westside School 7:45-8:45 and 12-12:30.
- Platt Electric in Madras is having an open house today from 10:30-1:30 at their location by the Madras Industrial Park – at 1600 NW Wescott Street. They will have prizes and a free barbecue. Everyone is welcome to stop by to learn more about Platt Electric in Madras.
- Wellness of Warm Springs meets today at noon at the Family Resource Center conference room. The topic is Managed Care. Everyone is welcome and lunch is served to all participants.
- There is an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting today at noon at the counseling center and Narcotics Anonymous meeting at 6pm at the Shaker Church.
- The Senior Wellness Center is having Senior lunch at noon – on the menu: venison stew, brown rice, corn bread & fresh fruit. Seniors 60 and older eat for free, 59 and under are $5 and youth under 13 are $3 at the Senior Wellness Center.
- Fitness activities scheduled for today at the Community Wellness Center: There’s Boot Camp class at 12:10 in the aerobics room and Functional Fitness in the Social Hall.
- The Meth & Opiate Work Group is putting on a community education class today about sweat lodge and spirituality. Dinner is at 5:30, the presentation is at 6 in the Community Center social hall.
- Jefferson County Coffee Cuppers will be hosted by the City of Culver – 200 1st Avenue on tomorrow at 8am.
- The 23rd Annual Pow-Wun-Putt Powwow in Roosevelt, Washington is this weekend. Namegivings and memorials will be tomorrow at 10am. Grand entries are at 7pm Friday & Saturday and at 1pm on Sunday.
- Relay for Life of Jefferson County is Saturday and Sunday at the Fairgrounds. Check in and registration begins at 9am Saturday and the opening ceremony is at 10. There are activities, a silent auction, music, food sales and games through the weekend. Closing ceremonies are at 9am Sunday.
- The 2018 Summer Jam Film Festival in Warm Springs is on Saturday at the Community Center social hall. Doors open at 6pm. There will be raffle prizes and films by Brutis Baez, Laronn Katchia, Rez Hogs, Valiant Productions, students and more.
The 28th Annual Tamkaliks Celebration is July 20-22 in Wallowa, Oregon. All drums are welcome and paid. There is free camping. For info on specials, contests & vending, go to www.wallowanezperce.org
The Warm Springs outdoor Market will be set up next Friday & Saturday July 20 & 21st from 9am to 1pm both days – Friday in the parking lot in front of Re-Use It Thrift Store and Saturday on campus near Kalama’s Fry Bread. The Outdoor Market is every other weekend thru August. Contact the Community Action Team office if you are interested in being a vendor.
Madras High School will once again offer Summer Bridge Program for its incoming ninth graders. Summer Bridge is two weeks of classroom work that will give them a jump start to high school and earn them half of an elective credit upon completion. It starts August 13. Class will be from 8:30-12:30 each day. Breakfast, lunch and transportation will be provided. If your student will not participate, please contact MHS to let them know – 541-475-7265.
The Jefferson County Fair & Rodeo is at the Madras Fair Complex July 23rd thru the 28th. Exhibit Entries are due on Monday July 23rd between 11am and 8pm for: kid’s Corner, Clothing and Textiles, Fold Arts and Crafts, Native American, Canned Foods & Baked Foods and Photography. Entries for Flowers and Land Products need to be turned in on Tuesday July 24th between 10am and 7pm.
Recent graduates who want to be on the list for the 2018 Fall Trust Fund Distribution need to provide their diplomas & transcripts to the Vital Statistics office as soon as possible. To be eligible, students needed a 2.00 GPA or better to qualify. There is an option to take basic classes online for one term to bring grade point averages up. Talk to Vital Stats for more info.
Registration is open for a Plateau Buckskin Dress Beaded Cape class. The first class is on July 24 from 5:30-6:30 at the Museum at Warm Springs. It is open to only six teams of family members. Find out more by contacting Tamera Moody 553-3331, extension 407.