Community Calendar for Tuesday July 3, 2018
- Nutritious summer meals are provided to kids 18 and under, free of charge through the 509J Summer Meal Program. Kids can get breakfast from 8:45-9:15 and lunch at noon at the Warm Springs Youth Center. In Madras, breakfast is at 7:45 and lunch at noon at Westside School.
- Tribal Council meets today – on the agenda this morning is the 1980 Baseline Update &Adoption; Kahneeta Update; and the BIA Proposed Reorganization Statement. In the afternoon is the Dunstan Property; Ventures Updates; Donation Request for Film Festival; and Tribal Member Concerns
- Fitness activities happening during the noon hour at the Community Wellness Center today are Functional Fitness class in the social hall and Boot Camp class in the aerobics room. There is a Fusion Fitness Class tomorrow morning at 6:00 – suitable for all fitness levels – in the aerobics room.
- Today’s Senior Lunch at noon is pork shops, looksh mash, green beans & canned fruit. Seniors 60 and older eat for free, 59 and under are $5 and youth under 13 are $3 at the Senior Wellness Center.
- The Jefferson County Food Bank is located at 556 SE Seventh Street in Madras. They are open for distribution this afternoon.
- The Warm Springs Vocational Rehabilitation Program has orientation today at 3pm at Community Counseling.
- There is a Wellbriety Warriors Accepting Recovery meeting this evening from 6:30-8:30 at the Community Center Social Hall. It is open to anyone seeking sobriety and wellness.
Wednesday 7/4 Independence Day
- The Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs offices will be closed tomorrow for the 4th of July
- Warm Springs Recreation’s 4th of July festivities will start with the annual parade tomorrow. Line up begins at 9am at the old elementary school, judging is at 10 – the theme this year is “Honoring our Veterans & Warriors – Those who served in the United States Navy. The parade starts at 11 and a barbecue will start after at the community center. There’s a horseshoe tournament at noon and family fun games and contests all afternoon. The firework show starts at dusk.
- The Todd Beamer Memorial Run is tomorrow in Madras. Events are a 6-mile walk, 5 and 10K runs and a 2-mile fun run. You can pre-register online at a discount. Day of race registration starts at 6:15am at Sahalee Park. All proceeds go to the Todd Beamer Memorial Scholarship.
- Tomorrow in Madras, the Elk’s Breakfast is from 8-10am. The “Let Freedom Ring” 4th of July Celebration at Sahalee Park will begin with a parade at 10am. Family fun will follow in the park with lots of food and other vendors and music by “Fun Bobby”! The Crooked River Ranch Lion’s Miniature Train will be giving rides throughout the day to all kids.
- The Madras Downtown Park and Play organization will have its First Thursday event featuring live music, performers, food, and retail vendors this Thursday from 5 to 9pm. This is happening the first Thursday of each month through September. The entertainment will be held along 5th Street from “C” to “E” Streets. If you’re interested in being a vendor or performer at the events, or just want more information, visit their website DowntownParkandPlay.com.
- Art Adventure Gallery will hold an opening reception for its July exhibit – Five Decades: A Look Back at the Works of Thomas Zalewski on Thursday 5:30-7pm at the gallery located at 185 SW 5th Street in Madras.
The Museum at Warm Springs has a traveling Veteran’s Banner Exhibit on display through September. “Patriot Nations – Native Americans in our Armed Forces” comes to Warm Springs from the National Museum of the American Indian.
KWSO will be once again joining with other Oregon Community Media stations to broadcast the Waterfront Blues Festival July 4,5,6 & 7 from Noon – 10pm each day. Kick back and enjoy live music from the largest Blues Festival west of the Mississippi! You can support programming like the Blues Festival by becoming a KWSO sustaining member. Sign up for an automatic deduction from you credit card or bank account. You can give 10 or 20 dollars a month. Learn more at www.kwso.org – click on the “Contribute Now” button.