Community Calendar for Wednesday July 4, 2018
- Today is a national holiday. Most offices in the tribal organization are closed
- The Todd Beamer Memorial Run is this morning in Madras. Registration starts at 6:15 at Sahalee Park. The 6-mile walk starts at 7am, the bus for the 5 & 10k runs leaves at 7:30 and the 2-mile fun run begins at 9. All proceeds go to the Todd Beamer Memorial Scholarship.
- The Madras Elk’s Breakfast is from 8-10 this morning. The “Let Freedom Ring” 4th of July Celebration at Sahalee Park in Madras will begin with a parade at 10am. Family fun will follow in the park with lots of food and other vendors and music by “Fun Bobby”! The Crooked River Ranch Lion’s Miniature Train will be giving rides throughout the day to all kids.
- Warm Springs Recreation’s 4th of July festivities will start with the annual parade. Line up begins at 9am at the old elementary school, judging is at 10 – the theme this year is “Honoring our Veterans & Warriors – Those who served in the United States Navy. The parade starts at 11 and a barbecue will start after at the community center. There’s a horseshoe tournament at noon and family fun games and contests all afternoon. The firework show starts at dusk.
- The Madras Downtown Park and Play organization will have its First Thursday event featuring live music, performers, food, and retail vendors tomorrow from 5 to 9pm. This is happening the first Thursday of each month through September. The entertainment will be held along 5th Street from “C” to “E” Streets. If you’re interested in being a vendor or performer at the events, or just want more information, visit their website DowntownParkandPlay.com.
- Art Adventure Gallery will hold an opening reception for its July exhibit – Five Decades: A Look Back at the Works of Thomas Zalewski tomorrow from 5:30-7pm at the gallery located at 185 SW 5th Street in Madras.
- The Warm Springs Outdoor Market will be open Friday from 9am until 1pm in front of Re-Use It Thrift Store featuring fresh produce, value-added foods, Native art and more. It will be set up Saturday on campus by Kalama’s Fry Bread
The 28th Annual Tamkaliks Celebration is July 20-22 in Wallowa, Oregon. Friday & Saturday mornings will be open for memorials and namings. All drums are welcome and paid. There is free camping. For info on specials, contests & vending go to www.wallowanezperce.org
Madras High School will once again offer Summer Bridge Program for its incoming ninth graders. Summer Bridge is two weeks of classroom work that will give them a jump start to high school and earn them half of an elective credit upon completion. It starts Monday, August 13. Class will be from 8:30-12:30 each day. Breakfast, lunch and transportation will be provided. If your student will not participate, please contact MHS to let them know – 541-475-7265.
The Jefferson County Fair & Rodeo is at the Madras Fair Complex July 23rd thru the 28th. Exhibit Entries are due on Monday July 23rd between 11am and 8pm for: kid’s Corner, Clothing and Textiles, Fold Arts and Crafts, Native American, Canned Foods & Baked Foods and Photography. Entries for Flowers and Land Products need to be turned in on Tuesday July 24th between 10am and 7pm.
BECOME A KWSO MEMBER… every new sustaining member between now and July 8th with be entered into a drawing for a night’s stay at Kah-Nee-Ta Resort this summer!