Community Calendar for Saturday, September 29, 2018
- Today is the final day of the Recovery Never Ends Conference being held at HeHe Longhouse. There is a breakfast at 7:30 and opening prayer at 8:00. There will be testimonies, presentations and activities this morning. Lunch is at noon.
- Join the Museum at Warm Springs today at 9am for one seven of Washat as they welcome the Treaty of 1855, which will be on display at the Museum through November 3rd. Tribal members can register at no cost for the Treaty Signing Conference October 25-27 – find out more and register online.
- Madras High School Cross Country is hosting the Madras Invitational this morning, it starts at 9:00; Freshman and JV Volleyball play at North Marion today while Varsity Volleyball travels to Junction City
- There is an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting this morning at 10 at Community Counseling.
- There is a Community Baby Shower for pregnant and new moms with babies 1-3 months old today in Madras. It’s free to attend. There will be gift bags, raffle prizes, giveaways, food, games, pampering services and photos – all free for pregnant and new moms. It is today from 10-2:00 at the Performing Arts Center.
- The Jamie “Chili Guy” Tohet Wild Horse Race Memorial is today at the Simnasho Rodeo Grounds. Events start at noon. Events include a Wild Horse Race, 2-plus-1 (woman shanks) Wild Horse Race, ranch broncs, breakaway roping, junior and senior wild cold races, mini buckers, junior and senior broncs and extra kids’ events. There is also a 16.2 mile Endurance Race open to all ages that starts at 8 this morning.
- The Jim PepperFest 2018: “Making the Invisible Visible”, the 6th annual Jim Pepper Native Arts Festival, is going on at Parkrose High School today and tomorrow. Visit http://www.jimpepperfest.net/ for details.
- This weekend, The Raven Makes Gallery in Sisters is hosting three Hopi and Tewa women artists. The gallery is located at 182 E. Hood Ave., in Sisters.
- Warm Springs Christian Fellowship meets Sunday morning at 9:30 at the Senior Center.
- The Warm Springs Baptist Church has Sunday School at 10:00 and Worship Service at 11:00.
- The Warm Springs Food Bank is located at the Presbyterian Church. They are open from 11:30-1:30 Sunday. All food banks and pantries do take donations of non-perishable food or cash
- The annual Hands Across the Deschutes River Bridge event will be held tomorrow in honor of Recovery Month. People are invited to meet at noon at the boat launch area. There will be speakers, a blessing ceremony and potluck.
- The Baptist Church in Madras will have its 5th Sunday Night Hymn Singing starting at 5:30pm Sunday at 85 NE A Street. Dessert will follow.
- COCC is seeking community feedback in filling its presidential post. There will be a public forum on Monday at the Madras campus from 9-10am. They want to know what folks envision for an ideal candidate.
- The Native Aspirations Coalition will meet Monday at noon at the Emergency Preparedness Building (1116 Wasco Street). Anyone interested in attending is welcome.
- District meetings to discuss the Baseline resolution and referendum have been set. The Agency District meeting is on Monday at the Agency Longhouse. The Seekseequa District meeting is on Tuesday at Seekseequa Fire Hall. And, the Simnasho District meeting is on Wednesday at the Simnasho Longhouse. Dinners will be provided at each meeting at 6pm, meetings follow at 7:00.
A free legal clinic will be taking intakes on October 8th at the Warm Springs Community Action Team Office from 10am – 3pm. Eligible clients will receive a free 45-60 minute consultation with an attorney to discuss any legal issues. To find out if you qualify, call Rayven at 971.703.7108. The clinic is being provided by Karnopp Petersen LLP and Legal Aid Services of Oregon.
Weeble Mountain Casting Agency is looking for Pacific Northwest and other Natives to be extras in an upcoming feature film. The project is called “First Cow.” They are looking for talent of all ages, including infants and kids. The shoot dates are November 2nd through December 11th in the Portland and Eugene areas. Pay is $12/hour with a minimum of 8 hours work guaranteed. To sign up you can go to https://weeblemountain.com/ or visit their Facebook page.