Community Calendar for Tuesday September 4, 2018
- It is back to school today for most students, except for 7th and 8th graders at JCMS and 10-12 grades at MHS. They go back tomorrow.
- The Head Start & Early Head Start Annual Open House is today from 9am-3pm. Child Care also Re-Opens today with new hours 7:45am-5:15pm. This year there is No Head Start on Mondays, classes are Tuesday-Friday, 7:45am-3:00pm. If you are in need of extended care, contact Nancy Mendez for Child Care.
- Here is what’s on Tribal Council’s agenda today: In the morning are updates from BIA and Office of Special Trustee; Realty Items; and the I H S Modernization Plan. In the afternoon will be a Legislative Update Conference Call; Tribal Attorney Update; and the Fish Accords Extension.
- There is Functional Fitness class in the social hall today.
- The Jefferson County Food Bank is located at 556 SE Seventh Street in Madras. They are open for distribution this afternoon.
- The Warm Springs Vocational Rehabilitation Program has orientation today at 3pm at Community Counseling. If you or someone you know has or may have a disability that is a barrier to employment or employment advancement, learn about their options at an orientation or by calling 553-4952.
- Madras High School JV & Varsity Boys Soccer have home matches today vs. Mountain View at 4:00; Girls Soccer teams play at Mt. View; Freshman Volleyball is at Redmond; JV & Varsity Volleyball play at Crook County High School.
- The Warm Springs Community Action Team is starting an Indianpreneurship Native American Journey into Business class series this evening. It will be held Tuesday evenings through November 6th from 5:30-7:30pm. Dinners will be provided. To sign up call 553-3148. The first class will cover chapters 1 & 2 – The Journey Begins & Creating Your Story.
- There is a Wellbriety Warriors Accepting Recovery meeting this evening from 6:30-8:30 at the Community Center Social Hall. It is open to anyone seeking sobriety and wellness.
- WorkSource Oregon will be holding several information sessions for all workers affected by the Kah-Nee-Ta closure. There will be session this Thursday (9/6) at 10am and 1pm at the Greeley Heights Community Building and again on Friday (9/7) Morning at 10am at the same location. Another session will be held Friday at 2pm at the WorkSource Office next to DMV in Madras. There will also be a Job Fair at the Community Center on Monday September 10th from 10am – 3pm.
- The Community Health Education Team and OSU Extension will have a jam making classes on Thursday at the Family Resource Center kitchen. There will be two classes – the first from 10 to noon and the other from 1-3pm. You need to bring a quart of huckleberries or berries of any kind to participate. Call 541-615-0036 to sign up.
- The Madras Downtown Park and Play organization will have its final First Thursday event of the year this Thursday. It will feature live music, performers, food, and retail vendors from 5 to 9pm. The entertainment will be held along 5th Street from “C” to “E” Streets.
The Recovery Never Ends Conference is September 20-22 at He-He Longhouse. It is free to attend. Bring your own comfortable chair if you’d like. There will be speakers, prayer, support, music, meals and more.