Community Calendar for Wednesday September 5, 2018
- It’s back to school today for JCMS 7th and 8th grade students and grades 10-12 at Madras High School.
- There is Senior Fitness Class at 10:45 at the Senior Center, at 12:10 there is Functional Fitness Class in the aerobics room.
- Warm Springs Christian Fellowship has bible study at 6pm at the Senior Center.
- The Warm Springs Baptist Church has Bible Study and Prayer this evening at 6:00.
- WorkSource Oregon will be holding several information sessions for all workers affected by the Kah-Nee-Ta closure. There will be session this Thursday (9/6) at 10am and 1pm at the Greeley Heights Community Building and again on Friday (9/7) Morning at 10am at the same location. Another session will be held Friday at 2pm at the WorkSource Office next to DMV in Madras. There will also be a Job Fair at the Community Center on Monday September 10th from 10am – 3pm.
- The Community Health Education Team and OSU Extension are having jam making classes tomorrow at the Family Resource Center kitchen. There will be two classes – the first from 10 to noon and the other from 1-3pm. You need to bring a quart of huckleberries or berries of any kind to participate. Call 541-615-0036 to sign up.
- The Madras Downtown Park and Play organization will have its final First Thursday event of the year tomorrow. It will feature live music, performers, food, and retail vendors from 5 to 9pm. The entertainment will be held along 5th Street from “C” to “E” Streets.
- The Jefferson County Library will have its Screen on the Green event Friday at Sahalee Park. Pre-show entertainment begins at 7:30pm and will feature “Twirl Girl” Angela Harris showing her hula hooping skills, and the audience will be invited to participate. The film will begin at 8pm and they will show Ferdinand, rated PG. Madras Bowl will sell drinks and candy. You should bring your own chairs and blankets. The film is free to watch.
The Museum at Warm Springs has a traveling Veteran’s Banner Exhibit on display through the end of the month. “Patriot Nations – Native Americans in our Armed Forces” comes to Warm Springs from the National Museum of the American Indian.
The Portland Trail Blazers and Moda Health will be presenting a free family-friendly day of basketball, health activities and games for all ages. The Rip City Rally is coming to Madras on Thursday, September 13 from 4-6pm at the Civic Plaza – which is the area outside of City Hall. The Blazers broadcast team, Blazer Dancers and Blaze the Trail Cat will all be there. They invite everyone out to celebrate physical fitness and healthy communities.
The Madras White Buffalo Football Program is selling apples as a team fundraiser. The apples are grown in St. Paul, Oregon by Ernst Family Farms. They are selling 18-20 lb. boxes and you can talk to one of the players or coaches Butch David or Kurt Taylor to purchase.
Metolius City Hall will have it’s annual “Spike and Rail Day” event Saturday September 8. It will kick off with a parade through Metolius at 11am. There will be games and activities at the City Park starting at noon. Concessions of food, gifts, and displays will be offered throughout the day. There will also be an old-fashion auction. Auction items can be viewed starting at noon and the auction begins at 3:00. Children 12 and under can eat lunch for free. A free concert wraps up the event starting at 5:00 pm featuring the group “Countryfied.”