Community Calendar for Thursday October 25, 2018
- The Vital Statistics Department is closed this week. It will reopen on Monday next week.
- Warm Springs Early Childhood Education is having its October Harvest Night this evening from 5:30-7 for all ECE families.
- The Treaty Conference at the Museum at Warm Springs begins today and goes through Saturday for folks registered to attend. Today the conference begins at 9am and it goes into the evening. Friday the it will run from 8am until the evening. And on Saturday, it is from 8-3:00.
- There is an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting today at noon at the counseling center and Narcotics Anonymous meeting at 6pm at the Shaker Church.
- Today there is Functional Fitness class this morning at 10:45 in the Community Center social hall; there is volleyball at noon in the gym; and open gym for men from 6:30-8:50pm. Insanity class today is cancelled.
- The Senior Wellness Center is having Senior lunch at noon – on the menu: roast beef, mashed potatoes, snow peas, blueberry coleslaw and vanilla yogurt. Seniors 60 and older eat for free, 59 and under are $5 and youth under 13 are $3 at the Senior Wellness Center.
- There is social dance class today at 4:00 in the Community Center aerobics room.
- The Democratic Chapter of Jefferson County will hold a meeting this evening at the Warm Springs Community Center social hall at 5:30pm. It will be a potluck with hot dogs provided.
- Warm Springs Early Childhood Education is having its October Harvest Night tonight from 5:30-7 for all ECE families.
- Listen to KWSO for Madras High School football tomorrow night when the Buffs play their final regular season game of year at home vs. Salem Academy. Kickoff is at 7pm and you can hear the game live on 91.9fm.
- Smith Rock State Park will have a free lecture this Friday from 7-8:30pm at the Smith Rock Welcome Center. Dallas Winishut will present “Ancestral Voices: The Ancient Languages of the Warm Springs Reservation.” It is part of the annual Oregon Archaeology Celebration. Lectures are free and open to the public.
- The Jefferson County Library Community Film Center is showing the movie “Raggedy Man,” rated PG-13 on Friday at 7:30pm. Films are free and shown at the Rodriguez Annex, next to the library.
- A stonesetting and memorial for Ralph George Queahpama and an Indian Naming for Amaro Rodeny Queahpama will take place Saturday. The stonesetting is at 8am. The memorial at 9am at Simnasho Longhouse. All family , friends and veterans are welcome. All Washut and Big Drum drummers are also welcome.
The Veterans Day Parade in Warm Springs is on November 10. They are calling on kids to march for veterans in red white or blue. Lineup begins at 10am at the old school. The parade starts at 11.
Chemawa Indian School in Salem will host a Veteran’s Powwow on November 10. Grand entries are at 1:00 & 6:00 in the gym. They are looking for food vendors – call 503-399-5721 for more info.
Warm Springs Recreation’s 40th Annual Halloween carnival at the Community Center will have a theme based on the movie Grease! They will have Trunk or Treat behind the Community Center from 4-6:00. And the carnival and costume contest is from 6-8:00. Costume categories are best T-Bird, best Pink Lady, best Cheerleader, best Danny & Sandy and spookiest costume. They are still looking for people willing to decorate their vehicles and hand out treats during Trunk or Treat. There will be 1st-3rd place awards for Best Decorated Trunk following the Grease theme. Contact Recreation to sign up.
The Jefferson County Winter Shelter is looking to hire a Shelter Coordinator plus several support staff members. The shelter will provide emergency shelter for people in homelessness on nights below 32 degrees from November thru March. For a job description and to get an application contact Madras Free Methodist Church at 541-475-3518.