Community Calendar for Wednesday October 31, 2018
- At the Warm Springs Health & Wellness Center, the Commissioned Corps are hosting a Veteran’s Luncheon. All Veterans are welcome.
- There is Senior Fitness Class this morning at 10:45 at the Senior Building; there’s basketball at noon in the gym; Functional Fitness at 12:10 in the aerobics room; and PIYO class at 12:10 in the clinic atrium.
- Warm Springs K-8 Football has a game vs. JCMS at the Madras High School football stadium today at 4:30. The concessions will be open during the football games. The MHS Drama Club is fundraising for this year’s plays.
- ECE’s Lil’ Pumpkins Parade is at 10am.
- Warm Springs Recreation’s Employee Costume Contest is at noon at the community center.
- The Zombie Walk is happening at noon at the community Center.
- The Elder’s Halloween Luncheon is at noon at the Senior Building. They will have a costume contest and a meal. Elders eat for free – non-elders pay $5.
- Warm Springs Recreation’s 40th Annual Halloween carnival at the Community Center will start with Trunk or Treat behind the Center from 4-6:00. And the carnival and costume contest is from 6-8:00. Costume categories are best T-Bird, best Pink Lady, best Cheerleader, best Danny & Sandy and spookiest costume.
- Simnasho’s Annual Halloween Party will be at the Simnasho Fire Hall. They will meet at 5:30 to go trick or treating around the look. Families who live outside of the community are welcome to bring treats and pick a spot to hand out. There is a potluck dinner and games starting at 6:30. Everyone is welcome.
- The Asylum Haunted House will be open tonight from 6:30-10:30 at the Forestry Warehouse in the Industrial Park. Entry is free, and they will take canned food donations and donations to go towards next year’s haunted house. New this year – a haunted house for younger kids.
- There is no school Thursday & Friday for 509-J students.
- A Survivors of Suicide Conference will be held in Warm Springs – tomorrow for adults and Friday for youth. The conference is from 8-5 at the agency longhouse and will be conducted by Dr. Clayton Small (Northern Cheyenne.) For more information contact Rosanna Jackson at 541-615-0036.
- The Let’s Talk Diversity Coalition is doing a Cultural Awareness Training class on November 8. The training will provide insight on how poverty specifically affects the health of your clients, customers, students, family and community members. It’s from 9am to 3:30 in Madras. You can get more info and register online or contact Jesus at 541-475-4292. The registration deadline is tomorrow.
- Volunteers are being recruited for the 2019 Warm Springs Point-In-Time Survey Coordinating Committee. Anyone interested should attend an information session tomorrow at the Family Resource Center conference room from 5:30-7pm. A light meal will be served. For more information contact Buffy at 541-615-0141.
- A Veteran’s Summit is being held on Friday from 9am – 4pm at the Warm Springs Community Center.
- Madras High School Football is on the road in a first round playoff game this Friday at Rainier. You can year that game live here on KWSO!
An after School Academic Enrichment program at the Warm Springs K-8 Academy will begin next week. Registered K-8 students will be provided a meal, participate in physical activity, receive an hour of math and literacy support, followed by one of a self-chosen elective or Native language. Attendance of four nights a week from 3:30-6:00 will be required. Students will have a bus to ride home after. Students should have brought an application home from school. If not, contact the WSK8 Academy.
The Jefferson County Winter Shelter is looking to hire a Shelter Coordinator plus several support staff members. The shelter will provide emergency shelter for people in homelessness on nights below 32 degrees from November thru March. For a job description and to get an application contact Madras Free Methodist Church at 541-475-3518.
The Jefferson County School District is hiring learning peer tutors who are registered high school students age 15 and older. Peer tutors will be working with Kinder thru 8th grade students, helping with homework and assisting teachers at JCMS and the Warm Springs K8. Apply online on the Jefferson County 509-J School District website.