Community Calendar for Tuesday November 14, 2017
- It is Native Spirit Week at the Warm Springs K-8 Academy and today is Ribbon Day. Students can wear a Ribbon Shirt or Wing Dress, or make a bracelet with some ribbon. At the longhouse, for special occasions, and at powwows – we wear Ribbon Shirts and Wing Dresses. Tomorrow is will be Bead Day – wear some sort of beaded item.
- Tribal Council is in session today. On the agenda, this morning are updates from the Education; Land Use; and Range & Ag Committees. This afternoon will be an update from the Culture & Heritage Committee; Kahneeta Leases; and Capital Project – CPS Center.
- Here are the groups and meetings scheduled for today at the Behavioral Health Center: Aftercare at 11, an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting at noon, Men’s Group is at 1:00, Mending Hearts Group at 1:30, Relapse Prevention starts at 3:30 and Alcohol & Drug Education Class meets at 5.
- Fitness activities happening during the noon hour at the Community Wellness Center today are Functional Fitness class in the social hall and Boot Camp class in the aerobics room. There’s Men’s IBA tonight at 7:15.
- The Jefferson County Food Bank is located at 556 SE Seventh Street. They are open for distribution this afternoon. All food banks and pantries do take donations of non-perishable food or cash.
- The Warm Springs Vocational Rehabilitation Program has orientation today at 3pm at Community Counseling. If you or someone you know has or may have a disability that is a barrier to employment or employment advancement, they can learn about their options at an orientation or by calling 553-4952.
- Soaring Butterflies Warrior Spirit Class is afterschool today at the Warm Springs K8 Academy from 3:30-5.
- There are practices for Buffalo Skywalkers Youth Basketball today. 2nd-4th grades practice at 3:40, 5th-7th graders at 4:40 and at 5:40 Kindergarten & 1st graders practice. Scrimmages are held on Thursday.
- A former Obama Advisor and leading Marine Scientist, Jane Lubchenco, will be in Bend for a presentation titled, “Hope for the Ocean” this evening at the Tower Theatre at 6:30. Tickets are available on the Tower Theatre’s website.
- There is a Fusion Fitness Class every Monday & Wednesday morning at 6:00 at the community center aerobics room. The class is suitable for all fitness levels.
- Warm Springs Recreation is putting on a Rock Your Mocs community walk tomorrow from 11:30 til 1:00. They invite folks to sport their moccasins and take a walk around the community center path to honor our ancestors and celebrate Native American Heritage Month.
- Tribal Members are invited to a meeting on Wills and Funeral Processes tomorrow 6-9pm at the Agency Longhouse. You can learn about Will Documents and the Tribal Code covering Probate. And, find out about the Tribes’ Funeral Resolution and Agreement, with guidance from tribal elders. All tribal members are encouraged to attend.
- The Jefferson County School District is holding a Substitute Recruitment Fair on Thursday from 9am to noon at the Madras Performing Arts Center. There is a need for substitute teachers, instructional assistants, bus drivers, custodians, secretaries and food service workers. Folks looking for part-time work can find out the qualifications for each position and complete the necessary paperwork at the Fair.
- There is an ECE Mini Powwow on Thursday at 10am at the Agency Longhouse.
- The Wellness of Warm Springs lunch will celebrate The Great American Smokeout Thursday at the Family Resource Center at noon. Guest speaker is Scott Kalama, Tobacco Prevention Specialist.
- The MAC Recreation District, Kiwanis & Lions 2018 Youth Basketball Program will run from January 20th through March 3rd. Games are played on Saturdays. The Early Bird Deadline is coming up Thursday. The fee will go up after that date. They also need volunteer coaches. The leagues are for girls and boys in grades 3 & 4 and 5 & 6. Details and registration information is available online.
Registration is now open to 5th-8th grade boys and girls for the Jefferson County COBO basketball season. The deadline to register is December 1st. Registration packets can be found on the Madras COBO Facebook page. Registration forms can be dropped off at the Madras High School with the front office Secretary. If parents have any questions, please feel free to contact Jerin Say via email at email@example.com or call/text 541-777-7904.