Community Calendar for Wednesday May 16, 2018
- The Timber Committee meets today from 9-noon at the Forestry Building
- The High Desert Museum presents Animal Adventures at the Jefferson County Library’s Rodriguez Annex on May 16th. Hear their wild tales and join in on a fun craft from 10:30-11:15. The feature will be Learning about Lizards.
- Today’s fitness schedule: Water Aerobics at 10:15 at Kahneeta Village Pool; Senior Fitness Class at 10:45 at the Senior Center – following class, participants can enjoy lunch. On the menu today: smoked salmon salad, upside down cake and a fruit smoothie. At noontime it’s Pi-Yo class at the clinic atrium and at the Community Center is Functional Fitness Class in the aerobics room. Turbo Kick class at 4.
- Today at the Behavioral Health Center: Wellbriety Court Class is this morning at 11; Women’s Group is at 1:00; Anger Management is from 3:30-4:30; and there is an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting at 7 this evening.
- The Culture & Heritage Committee meets today from 4-6:00 at the Administration Building, conference room 3
- Conscious Discipline Skill Building Class is this afternoon from 1:30 to 3:00 at ECE in room 2E. Its open to the community.
- Youth who plan to work through the Summer Work Program in Warm Springs need to complete all of the required workshops. Here are the opportunities this week to take classes: today is the Work Ethics & Etiquette Workshop and tomorrow is the Communications workshop. These are being held after school – at 4:15 in room 302 at the Education Center. There is also a workshop this Saturday – the Youth Work Handbook & Understanding Basic Policies workshop at 9am. If you have questions about these or other upcoming opportunities – stop by the WIOA/Native Aspirations Office at 1110 Wasco Street or call 553-3324.
- There is an N’Chi Wana Pum Canoe meeting today at the Greeley Heights Community Building, and craft & drum practice at 5:30. The 2018 Power Paddle to Puyallup begins July 19th. All current members and all new comers are encouraged to attend meetings and practices to learn more.
- There is Warm Springs Christian Fellowship this evening at 6 at High Lookee Lodge.
- The Warm Springs Baptist Church has Bible Study and Prayer this evening at 6:00.
- The Kindergarten thru 4th grade spring concert is this evening at the Warm Springs K-8 Academy gym. It will start at 6pm. Everyone is welcome to come hear songs from around the world, Broadway and all about water! The 5th grade talent show is coming up on May 31st.
- Warm Springs Meth & Opiate Work Group will present a community education class using a DVD presentation called Damaging Effects to the Brain. Gender-specific break out groups will follow. It is this evening at the Community Center social hall. Dinner is at 6 and the DVD starts at 6:30.
- Relay for Life is having their Trivia Night fundraiser tonight at Wild Winds Station in Madras. The Trivia starts at 7 o’clock. Trivia nights are typically the 3rd Wednesday of each month. For more information about the Jefferson County Relay for Life – contact Margee O’Brien.
- There is a food handler’s class tomorrow from 2-4pm at the I H S atrium.
- Jefferson County Chamber’s Business After Hours event this month will be hosted by the Museum at Warm Springs tomorrow from 5 :30-7:30.
- The Timber Committee is hosting a bough cutters meeting to cover rules and regulations for permits and fees tomorrow from 6-8pm at the Greeley Heights Community Building. Light snacks will be provided.
- The Madras High School Spring Band Concert is tomorrow at 7pm at the Performing Arts Center.
- A Madras City Yard Sale will take place this Friday, Saturday & Sunday. Yard Sale Guides with all participating residences are available at the Madras City Hall, on the Madras website and at the Chamber of Commerce.
- Jefferson County Relay for Life and Madras Black Bear Diner are partnering to help fight the fight against cancer. Relay Teams will assist in bussing tables and collect tips Friday evening. Donations help fight all types of cancer, for all types of people, in all types of communities around the globe.
- The national Alliance on Mental Illness Family & Friends Seminar will be held in Warm Springs on Friday. It is a free 4-hour seminar that informs and supports family members, partners, and friends who have loved ones with a mental health condition. You do need to register – contact Sarah Frank at 615-0036 to find out more or visit https://www.nami.org/Find/Support/NAMI-Friends.
There is a concert in Warm Springs on May 24th featuring the bands Hemlock, Damage Overdose and more. It will be at the Community Center at 7pm, all ages are welcome. They will charge $10 at the door.
A free community vision screening clinic will be held on June 9th from11am to 3pm at the Warm Springs Community Center. Warm Springs Optometry and the OHSU Casey Eye Institute will provide free eyes screenings to adults age 18 and older. They will screen for glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy and macular degeneration. Call 553-2474 to schedule an appointment.
A Thursday Night Golf League will begin May 24th at 5:45pm at Kahneeta Golf Course. It will pay out one place for every five golfers. The fee will include golf and a cart.