Community Calendar for Thursday January 31, 2019
- In Warm Springs today, there is Functional Fitness class at noon in the Community Center social hall; volleyball at noon in the gym; and open gym for men from 6:30-8:50 tonight. Today’s Insanity Class has been cancelled.
- There is an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting today at noon at the counseling center and Narcotics Anonymous meeting at 6pm at the Shaker Church.
- There is Ichishkin Class today from noon-1:00 at the Museum. Bring your own lunch.
- The Senior Wellness Center is having Senior lunch at noon – on the menu: barbecue pulled pork, apple cranberry slaw, bread, cowboy beans and canned fruit. Seniors 60 and older eat for free, 59 and under are $5 and youth under 13 are $3 at the Senior Wellness Center.
- Warm Springs K-8 Girls Basketball teams have home games today vs. Crook County. First game is at 3:30.
- There is social dance class today at 4:00 in the Community Center aerobics room.
- The Warm Springs K-8 Academy’s “I Heart Literacy” night is this evening. Dinner will be served from 5-6pm and the activities are from 5 to 7.
- The Sweetheart Sale is tomorrow from 10-4:00 in the Community Center social hall. The Lincoln’s Powwow Committee will be having a fundraiser during the sale, Warm Springs Head Start will be ther and KWSO will also be doing a fundraiser at the Sweetheart sale tomorrow.
- Wellness of Warm Springs is having a winter soup kitchen tomorrow at noon at the Family Resource Center conference room. Everyone is welcome.
- Tomorrow is the deadline for applications for Board and Commission vacancies for: Credit, Indian Head Gaming, TERO, Composite Products, Housing Authority, Museum at Warm Springs, Power & Water Enterprise, Telecom, Ventures, the Water Control Board, Joint Health Commission, Appeals Court and Elections Board. Notices for each can be downloaded from the Tribes’ website warmsprings-nsn.gov.
- Listen to KWSO for Madras High School Basketball Friday when the boys and girls host Corbett. Tipoff for the girls is at 5:30 and the boys at 7. You can hear the broadcasts on 91.9fm, online at KWSO.org and on by using the Tune In Radio app.
- The Jefferson County Library Film Center will show “The Longest Yard (the 1974 version),” rated R, for its Friday night movie. It will start at 7:30 at the Rodriguez Annex next to the Library in Madras. It is free to watch, and refreshments are available.
A stonesetting for Emery Ross Yallup will be held at 9am Saturday at Simnasho Cemetery. Memorial services will follow at Simnasho Longhouse. The Lincoln’s Powwow Committee will have memorial releases and open the longhouse floor. 2019 Lincoln’s Powwow is February 8-10 at Simnasho Longhouse.
Candidates running in the 2019 Tribal Council Election can submit their candidate statements, with a picture to the Spilyay Tymoo for a Candidates’ Edition that will be published soon. Please bring by the Media Center or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, candidates who have not done so, please schedule an interview with KWSO. If you need another copy of the questions, let us know.
The Jefferson County Winter Shelter is located at the Madras Free Methodist Church from 6pm to 7am on especially cold nights. Call 541-325-2478 to find out if the shelter will be open.
Cascades East Transit continues to seek input on public transportation in Central Oregon. Their online survey is open thru Sunday at www.cettransitplan.com. You can find that link on today’s calendar posted on KWSO’s website
The Warm Springs Washanaksha Cultural Coalition is seeking grant applications for 2019. Grant funding supports the arts and heritage. Packets can be downloaded at KWSO.org. Applications close on February 11 at 5pm. FMI: Tamera Moody at the Museum at Warm Springs.
The Jefferson County School District Board of Directors is accepting applications for its budget committee. Applications are available at the District Office in Madras or online at http://www.jcsd.k12.or.us.