- Today is September 24rd. There are 190 days until Census 2020. The United States does a census every 10 years and the next one begins April 1st 2020
- A reminder to those enrolled in the Wellbriety Celebrating Families” Class for parents only is today from 9am until noon on the 3rd floor of the Behavior Health Center. This week’s topic is: Feelings and Defenses.
- Central Oregon Thrive connects individual needs to community resources. They can help with housing, health, employment, social security and more. THRIVE is in Madras on Tuesdays at the Jefferson County Health Department from 10am until 1pm and again from 2-4pm. 30 minute walk in meetings are available – first come, first served
- In Warm Springs the GROW Program is available to connect individuals to community resources. You can stop by the GROW program office to talk with Lorien or Isaac – they are located in the trailer on Wasco Street next to Warm Springs CPS.
- Functional Fitness class is in the noon hour today in the Community Center Social Hall.
- Today’s Senior Lunch at noon is Salmon Twasali with Roasted Potatoes. Seniors 60 and older eat for free, 59 and under are $5 and youth under 13 are $3 at the Senior Wellness Center.
- Today at the Behavioral Health Center – Alcoholics Anonymous is at Noon as is Relapse Prevention. Men’s group is 1 to 2:30 this afternoon. VOC Rehab will hold an orientation today at 3 at the Behavioral Health Center. AND Adult Alcohol & Drug Education is today 3:30-4:30.
- The Jefferson County Food Bank is located at 556 SE Seventh Street in Madras. They are open for distribution this afternoon.
- Voc Rehab in Warm Springs will hold an orientation session today at 3:00 in Behavioral Health Center conference room. Those who cannot make it to one of the scheduled weekly sessions can call 541-553-4952 to request a one-on-one orientation.
- Warm Springs K8 Football plays LaPine here in Warm Springs today at 4:30. K8 Volleyball plays at Culver at 4.
- There is a Victim Impact Panel today from 6-7:30pm at the Warm Springs Baptist Church. Community members are welcome to attend and listen.
- There is a Warriors for Wellbriety meeting this evening at High Lookee Lodge. They have drum practice at 6:30 and the meeting is at 7:30.
Warm Springs Sanitation Landfill hours are 7am until 130 pm.. after that gates are locked. After 1:30 everyone is asked to use a transfer station. Please do not do illegal dumping outside the landfill. Also – Tires and Batteries are no longer accepted. If you have questions about the landfill – contact the Tribal Sanitarian at (541) 553-4943.
A thunderstorm event on August 10th this year caused flash flooding that may have washed out livestock fence. Producers suffering sever fence damage due to this storm event may be eligible for assistance under the USDA Emergency Conservation Program. To request assistance contact the Central Oregon FSA office at 541-923-4358. Sign up is October 1st thru October 30th
The 7th annual Jim Pepper Native Arts Festival is Saturday September 28th at Parkrose High School in Portland. To learn more about the event and get vendor information – go online to Jim Pepper Fest dot net. The event brings together Native Music, Arts, Dance, Food and Community. This year’s Jim Pepperfest 2019 theme is “Recovering the Sacred.”
- Warm Springs Housing Authority is having an Ice Cream Social for Kindergarten thru 8th grade youth this Wednesday afternoon from 3:30-5 at the Greeley Heights Community Building. Parents need to sign a waiver for their child to attend. You can call housing at 541-553-3250 to learn more.
- A community presentation on Human Trafficking is tomorrow at the Community Center Social Hall. There are 2 sessions at 1pm and 6pm. The training is being conducted by the Guardian Group, a local non-profit specializing in counter human trafficking.
- Heart of Oregon YouthBuild is recruiting youth ages 16-24 years for its Fall 2019 cohort starting October 14th. YouthBuild members earn their GED, high school diploma, college credit, and job skills. There will be a YouthBuild information session this Thursday here in Warm Springs at the Bridges Alternative ROOTS program at 1pm. You MUST attend one of the information sessions to be considered for the YouthBuild Program. Details are available online at heart of Oregon dot org. (www.heartoforegon.org)
- The Warm Springs Fish and Wildlife Off Reservation Committee is hosting a Ceremonial Hunters Meeting this Thursday from 4-6pm at the Greeley Heights Community Building.