Today is October 2 – there are 182 days left until the 2020 Census begins. Earn extra income while helping your community learn about census jobs online at 2020 census dot jobs slash jobs (https://2020census.gov/en/jobs)
- The Native American Program Legal Aid Services of Oregon will be at the Community Action team office today from 10am – 12pm. Walk Ins are welcome or you may arrange an appointment by calling 1-800-546-0534 or 503-223-9483.
- There is Senior Fitness Class this morning at 10:45 at the Senior Center – following class, participants can enjoy a meal.
- Warm Springs Christian Fellowship has bible study at 6pm at the Senior Center.
- The Warm Springs Baptist Church has Bible Study and Prayer this evening at 6:00.
- The final Heart of Oregon YouthBuild Orientation session for the fall cohort is tomorrow at 5pm in Sisters. This is a requirement for any youth interested in participating in this GED/High School Diploma/Job Skills Program. You can learn more by calling 541-526-1380 or online visit heart of Oregon dot org. https://heartoforegon.org/programs/youthbuild.html
- The Art Adventure Gallery is hosting an opening reception tomorrow for “Intentionally Abstract” And exhibit for Andrea Craik. The reception is 5:30-7pm at the Art Adventure Gallery on 5th street in downtown Madras.
If you have unused or expired medications you need to get rid of, the Warm Springs Health & Wellness Center now has a MedSafe drop box to dispose of old meds. Bring them to large blue box located in the pharmacy waiting area to safely dispose of unneeded medications.
- The Warm Springs Community Action Team is hosting a training on Public Contracting for interested business owners this Friday October 4th from 8:20-2:30pm. They will over Registering as a Business, Business Plan, Capability Statement & Lending. There will also be an overview of the Certification Office for Business Inclusion and Diversity. You can register online – the link is on today’s Community Calendar at KWSO dot org. (https://events.egov.com/eventreg/OR/registrant.htm?action=new&_event=businessresourcenetworkeventwarmsprings)
- The Jefferson County Library Film Center in Madras is showing – Biggest Little Farm rated PG, this Friday Night. The film follows two dreamers and a dog on an odyssey to bring harmony to both their lives and the land. Showtime is 7:30. Films are free and refreshments are available. Learn more online at J C L D dot org. www.jcld.org
- Smith Rock State Park will host its annual Oregon Archaeology Celebration lecture series in October on Friday evenings at the park’s welcome center in Terrebonne. The talks are free and open to the public. There is a $5 day use parking fee. This Friday the presentation is “Life and Art on the Columbia Plateau” with Aurolyn Stwyer.
A thunderstorm event on August 10th this year caused flash flooding that may have washed out livestock fence. Producers suffering sever fence damage due to this storm event may be eligible for assistance under the USDA Emergency Conservation Program. To request assistance contact the Central Oregon FSA office at 541-923-4358. Sign up is October 1st thru October 30th.
10/5 The Eugene Greene American Legion presents a Welcome Home Korean War Era Veterans event this Saturday at the Warm Springs Community Center.
Madras Football and Girls Basketball will benefit from a 4 person golf scramble tournament on October 12th at Desert Peaks in Madras. Please sign up by October 5th by talking with Coach Taylor, Coach Say or Coach David.
Warm Springs Nation Little League is trying to recruit one or two individuals from Warm Springs who would be interested in a week long baseball / softball umpire clinic. For more detail please call Edmund Francis at 541-325-3856.
The Native American Music Awards are November 2nd in Niagara Falls New York. Voting is now open online. Local Musicians nominated for awards are: Kalliah Jackson who sings with Corey Rae White on “Dimmer” which is in the Best Independent Recording by a New Artist Single Release category. Blue Flames for Best Rap Hip Hop Music Video for “Stand Up.” And Bigg B featuring N8 is up for Best Music Video Recording for “Deep End”. You can check out nominations online at Native American Music Awards dot Com where there is also a link to voting. https://www.nativeamericanmusicawards.com/vote-now)