Community Calendar for Wednesday November 8, 2017
- It’s the final day of the book fair at the Warm Springs K8 Academy. It’s open from 8am to 7:30pm in the community room at the front of the school.
- Warm Springs Sanitation & Landfill will not collect trash this Friday. For residential and commercial customers, most trash routes will be picked up tomorrow. For customers served by Merle, he will complete his Thursday route today, and his Friday route tomorrow.
- Today’s fitness schedule: Water Aerobics is at the Kahneeta Village Pool at 10:15, Senior Fitness Class at 10:45 at the Senior Center, at 12:10 there is Functional Fitness Class in the aerobics room and Pi-Yo class at the clinic atrium and an afternoon Turbo Kick class at 4:00. There is Ladies Night Basketball at 6:00.
- Women’s Group meets at 1:00 today at the Behavioral Health Center. Also today, there is Anger Management Group at 3:30, Wellbriety at 5:15 and an evening Alcoholics Anonymous meeting at 7.
- There is a food handler’s class today from 2-4pm in the I H S atrium.
- Early Head Start Group Socialization is today at 3:00 at the Museum at Warm Springs.
- Parent conferences are taking place today from 4-8pm at the Warm Springs K8. Contact your child’s teacher if you have not been given a time.
- The Warm Springs Red Cross Group meets today at 5:30 at the Family Resource Center. It is open to anyone interested in being a volunteer.
- Community members are invited to learn the findings of the Warm Springs Climate Change Vulnerability Assessment and to screen the Wisdom of the Elder’s Video “First Peoples of Oregon Interior.” It is this evening from 5:30-7 at the Agency Longhouse. Light refreshments and snacks will be provided.
- There is Warm Springs Christian Fellowship this evening at 6 at High Lookee Lodge.
- There is a Timber Tour of the proposed harvest areas for the Triple Butte Timber Sale tomorrow. Vans will leave the Tribal Administration Building at 9am. Sack lunches will be provided. Be sure to wear warm clothes and sturdy footwear.
- The Buffalo Skywalkers Youth Basketball League is taking registrations through tomorrow. Parents can fill out paperwork at the Community Center office. Practices begin Monday.
- The Simnasho Community is hosting a Veteran’s Appreciation Dinner tomorrow at the Simnasho Longhouse. There will be 1 seven of Washut at 5:00 and a Potluck Dinner at 6. They welcome all to share a meal with our Veterans in appreciation for their time and service.
- Registration is open to 5th-8th grade boys and girls for the Jefferson County COBO basketball season. The deadline to register is December 1st. Registration packets can be found on the Madras COBO Facebook page. Registration forms can be dropped off at the Madras High School with the front office Secretary. There is a COBO information meeting tomorrow in the MHS library at 6:30. Registrations can be done at that time too. If parents have any questions, please feel free to contact Jerin Say via email at email@example.com or call/text 541-777-7904.
- The High Desert Community Theater presents “She Was Only Marginally Modest” by Vern Harden – with performances on Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 7-9pm and Sunday from 2-4pm at the Performing Arts Center in Madras. Tickets are free, but you need one to attend. Madras JC Chamber of Commerce or Culver City Hall.
Friday 11/10 Veteran’s Day (observed)
- There is no school this Friday. It is also a Tribal Holiday, offices will be closed.
- The 2017 Bob Main Memorial Men’s and Women’s Basketball Tournament is this weekend in Warm Springs.
- The Honoring Veterans Powwow is Saturday and Sunday at the Agency Longhouse. Rejoining will be at 6pm Friday. Grand Entries are at 1 & 7pm Saturday and at 1:00 Sunday.
The MAC Recreation District, Kiwanis & Lions 2018 Youth Basketball Program will run from January 20th through March 3rd. The Early Bird Registration Deadline is coming up November 16th. The fee will go up after that date. They also need volunteer coaches. The leagues are for girls and boys in grades 3 & 4 and 5 & 6. Details, scholarship info and registration are available online at MAC Rec District dot com.
The Comp & Benefits Department reminds employees that Open Enrollment documents for HealthComp enrollment and changes, as well as Allegiance enrollments need to be submitted to their office by December 1st.
The Jefferson County School District is holding a Substitute Recruitment Fair on November 16th from 9am to noon at the Madras Performing Arts Center. There is a need for substitute teachers, instructional assistants, bus drivers, custodians, secretaries and food service workers. Folks looking for part-time work can find out the qualifications for each position and complete the necessary paperwork at the Fair.
The Warm Springs LIHEAP Program is offering a Weatherization 101 Class on November 20th at the Community Center Social Hall. Participants will learn how to make homes more energy efficient this winter and will take home a weatherization kit. There is a class at 11:30 and one at 5:30. Meals will be provided, space is limited. Call 541-553-3415 to register.