Community Calendar for Wednesday March 6, 2019
- It’s Dr. Seuss Spirit Week at Warm Springs Head Start. Today is Dr. Seuss Character Day. Tomorrow is Opposite Day and Friday is Crazy Hair Day.
- The Land Use Planning Committee will meet this morning at 9:00 in conference room 3 at the Administration Building.
- Lil’ Miss Warm Springs meetings are held on Wednesdays from 6-7:30pm. Participation in the sessions will allow girls to build on their cultural knowledge, develop confidence, public speaking skills and spend time with mentors and peers. The Lil’ Miss Warm Springs Pageant is tentatively scheduled for May 1st.
- Warm Springs Christian Fellowship has bible study at 6pm at the Senior Center.
- The Warm Springs Baptist Church has Bible Study and Prayer this evening at 6:00.
- The City of Madras Planning Commission will meet this evening at 6:00 at the City Hall. It is open to the public.
- There is a Head Start Graduation Meeting tomorrow at 2:30 at ECE.
- The next Fish & Wildlife Committee meeting is tomorrow from 3-5pm in conference room 3 at the Administration Building.
- There is a free workshop to learn about the basics of online job searching on Friday at 10am in the Computer Lab located on the top floor of the Education Building. Call 553-3324 for more details.
- The Jefferson County Library Community Film Center’s Friday night movie will be “Chasing Ice.” It will be shown at 7:30 in the Rodriguez Annex.
A Jefferson County Victims Assistance advocate comes to Warm Springs on the third Wednesday of every month at the Victims of Crime Services office. Folks can get help with things like case assistance, paperwork, and other resources. Appointments can also be made for other times. For information call Ken Clark 541-475-4452 or VOCS 553-2293.
The Jefferson County Winter Shelter provides a safe cold weather shelter at the Cornerstone Baptist Church in, located on Tenth Street in Madras from 6pm to 7am on especially cold nights. Call 541-325-2478 to find out if the shelter will be open.
The 26th Annual Warm Springs Cougars All-Indian High School Boys & Girls Basketball Championships are April 5-7 in Warm Springs. They are taking entries up until March 22nd. Contact Tourney Director Austin Greene at the Recreation Office for more info.
Cascades East Transit will hold a Warm Springs Open House event on March 14 at the K-8 Academy Community Room. They want input to help CET prioritize future transit expansion projects. Stop by anytime between 5 and 7:30pm.
The Jefferson County School District 509-J has two positions opening for its Board of Directors. Anyone interested in running for Positions #4 and #5 in the May 21st vote-by-mail Special Election must file a declaration of candidacy or petition for nomination for office with the Elections Department of Jefferson County no later than 5pm on March 21st. The forms are available at the County Clerk’s office in Madras and online on the Jefferson County website or Secretary of State’s website.
This year’s Jefferson County Community Read is “Birding Without Borders” by Noah Strycker. It is a non-fiction book about the author’s travel around the world documenting thousands of species of birds. Art Adventure Gallery will once again feature an exhibit with artwork inspired by the Community Read selection. Artists in all mediums are welcome. Applications are available at the gallery and online. Artwork is due April 26th.
The Museum at Warm Springs will host a free Corn Husk Bag class taught by Kelli Palmer beginning March 12 at 5:30pm. Some weaving experience is preferred but not required and it is open to the first 15 people who sign up. Contact Tamera Moody at the Museum to sign up.