It’s “Week of the Young Child” – an annual celebration to spotlight early learning, young children, their teachers, families, and communities. This Thursday morning there will be a children’s parade at Warm Springs Early Childhood Education.
- The Range Committee meets today from 9am till noon in conference room 3 at the administration building.
- Warm Springs fitness activities today are: Functional Fitness Class at 10:45 in the Community Center social hall; Volleyball at noon in the gym; Insanity class at 12:10 in the aerobics room and men’s open gym tonight from 6:30-8:50.
- Today’s Senior Lunch at noon is strip steak, mashed potatoes, roasted sprouts, squash & cranberries. Seniors 60 and older eat for free, 59 and under are $5 and youth under 13 are $3 at the Senior Wellness Center.
- The Jefferson County Food Bank is located at 556 SE Seventh Street in Madras. They are open for distribution this afternoon.
- Voc Rehab in Warm Springs will hold an orientation session today at 3:00 in Behavioral Health Center conference room. Those who cannot make it to one of the scheduled weekly sessions can call 541-553-4952 to request a one-on-one orientation.
- There is a Wellbriety Warriors Accepting Recovery meeting this evening from 6:30-8:30 at the Community Center Social Hall. It is open to anyone seeking sobriety and wellness.
The 30th Annual Honor Senior Day is May 10th at the Agency Longhouse. Everyone is welcome to attend and if you want to be on theme – wear your boots, chaps and cowboy hats! Contact the Senior Program if you would like to help out – 541-553-3313.
- There is Community Acupuncture tomorrow in the Community Aerobics Room. Stop by anytime between 8 and 11:30am.
- Indian Head Casino is having blackjack dealer classes starting tomorrow at their HR office in the Plaza. Classes will be held weekdays from 8am to 4pm for 4 weeks. Classes are necessary for certification needed to be a table games dealer. To sign up call 541-460-7714.
- The Native American Program Legal Aid Services of Oregon will have a walk-in intake clinic tomorrow from 10am to noon at the Community Action Team office. Free civil legal service is available to eligible tribal members. Stop by to find out if the program can help with your legal need.
- The High Desert Museum will have its Animal Adventures program featuring Birds of Prey tomorrow at 10:30am at the Jefferson County Library’s Rodriguez Annex.
- Everyone is invited to the 8th Annual Hands Around the Courthouse tomorrow 11am. Join together in the event taking a stand against Sexual Assault. Meet in front of the Tribal Courthouse. A light lunch will be provided.
4/11 KWSO and BendFilm are hosting a “how to make a video” workshop this Thursday from 5-8 at the Warm Springs K-8 Academy. Participants should bring a smart phone to shoot some video. This is a free workshop open to ages teen and up. Space is limited so please arrive on time.
4/13 A Junior Jackpot Rodeo will be held this Saturday at noon in the indoor arena at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds in Madras. Bareback Ranch Bronc and Wild Pony Riaces, Mini Bulls, Steers and junior Bulls. This will be a Wild West buckers regional qualifier event. Call or text 541-280-1342.
The Native Youth Exploring Higher Education summer camp at Washington State University is taking applications now through June 15th. The free camp is July 15-19 and is open to students who will enter grades 9-10 in the fall. It’s for students to learn about college opportunities and education. Information and registration is available online at Native dot WSU dot EDU under the “Prospective Students” tab. https://native.wsu.edu/nyehe/
There will be a Student Summer Work Program for high school students and college students in Warm Springs. Applications need to be submitted to the Work Experience Development Department at Education Building. Native American students ages 14-24, who are enrolled in traditional and alternative high school are eligible – the deadline is May 23rd. College students of any age may apply and they have until June 27th. Contact the WEDD office at 541-553-3324 for details.