Community Calendar for Thursday March 14, 2019
- There are a few more days left of the spring book fair at the Warm Springs K-8 Academy. It’s open until 7:00 this evening. It will be open from 7:45 to 1:30 tomorrow.
- The Senior Wellness Center is having Senior lunch at noon – on the menu: spaghetti, green salad, garlic bread and fresh fruit. Seniors 60 and older eat for free, 59 and under are $5 and youth under 13 are $3 at the Senior Wellness Center.
- The Wellness of Warm Springs group invites community members to join them for their monthly lunch meeting today at noon in the Conference room at the Family Resource Center. Jackie Minson and staff from Voc Rehab will be the guest speakers.
- There is Functional Fitness class today at noon in the Community Center Social Hall and Insanity class at noon in the aerobics room.
- There is an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting today at noon at the counseling center and Narcotics Anonymous meeting at 6pm at the Shaker Church.
- There is Ichishkin Class today from noon-1:00 at the Museum. Bring your own lunch.
- There is social dance class today at 4:00 in the Community Center aerobics room.
- The Warm Springs K-8 Academy will have a College & Career Night plus STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) activities for students and families this evening. Dinner starts at 5, activities are from 5:30-7pm.
- Cascades East Transit will hold a Warm Springs Open House event tonight during the WSK8 activities, in the Community Room. They want input to help CET prioritize future transit expansion projects. Stop by anytime between 5 and 7:30pm.
- An 8th grade orientation night is tonight from 5:30-7 at Madras High School. All incoming eighth graders and their parents/guardians should attend. Transportation from Warm Springs is available – a bus will leave from the K-8 Academy at 5:00. Dinner begins at 5:30.
- Art Adventure Gallery invites folks to the opening reception of the exhibit “Hidden Treasures” this evening from 5:30-7pm at the gallery located on 5th Street in Madras.
- The referendum on enrollment for Warm Springs Tribal Members is this Friday. The referendum question asks Tribal voters to add the 1980 census to the list of baseline census years for determining Confederated Tribes blood quantum. Voting will take place from 8am until 8pm at the Community Center. Voters who will be out of town that day or have illness or a disability keeping them from voting, can get an absentee ballot from Olivia Wallulatum at the Vital Statistics office. All eligible tribal member voters – please be sure to vote this Friday as there is a one third voter turn out requirement for the vote to be valid.
- Computer Lab Assistance is available tomorrow at the Education Building from 1-4pm. There is no appointment needed. You can get practice using a computer, Word or Excel projects, and online job searches. There are tutorials available and staff will be there for assistance.
- The Jefferson County Library Community Film Center’s Friday night movie will be “Boy Erased.” It will be shown at 7:30 in the Rodriguez Annex.
- The 19th Annual Wellbriety Pow-Wow is this Friday thru Sunday at the Nisqually Youth and Community Center.
- Reburial services will be held Saturday for ancestral remains returning to the Columbia River from New Zealand. Services will begin at 10am at Wishxam Cemetery in Dallesport, Washington. A meal will follow at the Celilo Longhouse.
There is still time for Tribal Council Candidates, who have not done an interview with KWSO, to do so. Please stop by or call KWSO at 541-553-1968 and schedule an appointment with either Liz or Bigg B. We are airing interviews in our special Tribal Council Election program now through April 3rd. Tribal Council Election Day is April 4th.
The Warm Springs Community Action Team’s AARP Tax Aide is doing free tax preparation and filing by appointment through April 12. Call 541-553-3148 or stop by the CAT office on campus to reserve a time.
The 26th Annual Warm Springs Cougars All-Indian High School Boys & Girls Basketball Championships are April 5-7 in Warm Springs. They are taking entries up until March 22nd. Contact Tourney Director Austin Greene at the Recreation Office for more info.