Community Calendar for Wednesday March 13, 2019
- The spring book fair is happening at the Warm Springs K-8 Academy this week. It’s open today from 7:45-3:15.
- There is a Community Acupuncture clinic this morning in the Community Center Aerobics Room. Stop by anytime between 8 and 11:30am. It’s free.
- Senior Fitness Class is this morning at 10:45 at the Senior Center. Following class, participants can enjoy a meal. On the menu today: turkey vegetable soup and dinner rolls.
- These are today’s fitness classes in Warm Springs – Functional Fitness at 12:10 at the Community Center and Pi-Yo at the clinic atrium also at 12:10.
- The Madras Redevelopment Commission will hold a public meeting today at 5:30 at City Hall.
- There is a Lil’ Miss Warm Springs meeting this evening from 6-7:30. Participation in the sessions will allow girls to build on their cultural knowledge, develop confidence, public speaking skills and spend time with mentors and peers. The Lil’ Miss Warm Springs Pageant is tentatively scheduled for May 1st.
- Warm Springs Christian Fellowship has bible study at 6pm at the Senior Center.
- The Warm Springs Baptist Church has Bible Study and Prayer this evening at 6:00.
- The Warm Springs K-8 Academy is having a College & Career Night plus STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) activities for students and families tomorrow. Dinner starts at 5, activities are from 5:30-7pm.
- Cascades East Transit will hold a Warm Springs Open House tomorrow during the family engagement night tomorrow at the K-8 Academy Community Room. They want input to help CET prioritize future transit expansion projects. Stop by anytime between 5 and 7:30pm.
- An 8th grade orientation night is planned for tomorrow wfrom 5:30-7pm at Madras High School. All incoming eighth graders and their parents/guardians should attend. Dinner begins at 5:30.
- Art Adventure Gallery invites folks to the opening reception of the exhibit “Hidden Treasures” tomorrow from 5:30-7pm at the gallery located on 5th Street in Madras.
- The referendum on enrollment for Warm Springs Tribal Members from is this Friday. The referendum question asks Tribal voters to add the 1980 census to the list of baseline census years for determining the Confederated Tribes blood quantum. Voting will take place from 8am until 8pm at the Community Center. Voters who will be out of town that day or have illness or a disability keeping them from voting, can get an absentee ballot from Olivia Wallulatum at the Vital Statistics office. All eligible tribal member voters – please be sure to vote this Friday.
- There is a free workshop to learn about the importance of Soft Skills when looking for a job. It’s this Friday at 1pm in the Computer Lab located on the top floor of the Education Building. Call 553-3324 for more details.
- The Jefferson County Library Community Film Center’s Friday night movie will be “Boy Erased.” It will be shown at 7:30 in the Rodriguez Annex.
- The 19th Annual Wellbriety Pow-Wow is this weekend at the Nisqually Youth and Community Center.
There is still time for Tribal Council Candidates, who have not done an interview with KWSO, to do so. Please stop by or call KWSO at 541-553-1968 and schedule an appointment with either Liz or Bigg B. We are airing interviews in our special Tribal Council Election program now through April 3rd. Tribal Council Election Day is April 4th.
The Miss Warm Springs Pageant is on March 27th at 6pm at the Agency Longhouse. Persons who want to run for the Miss Warm Springs title should submit applications by 5pm on March 22nd to be eligible. Applications and letters of recommendation can be downloaded from the tribal website. For more information contact Nor Sampson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2019 Warm Springs Nation Little League – baseball, softball and t-ball – registrations are being taken weekdays from 8am to 4:30pm at the Community Center. Baseball and softball tryouts will be March 19-21 and practices begin April 1st. Coaches and umpires need to complete forms and background checks. FMI: 541-325-3856.
Tananawit, a community of Warm Springs Artists, is having a Membership Kickoff Event & Dinner on March 21st at 5pm at the Museum at Warm Springs. It’s open to artists, community members, and anyone else interested in learning more about the organization. There will be a silent auction, artist award ceremony and guest speakers.