Community Calendar for Tuesday July 2, 2019
- Kids 18 and under can get free, nutritious meals through the 509-J Summer Food Service Meal Program today at: Bridges High School – breakfast starts at 7:45 and lunch at 12:00; and at the Warm Springs Youth Center – breakfast is from 8:45-9:15 and lunch 12-12:30
- Here is today’s Tribal Council agenda: this morning they will hear from the Land Use Committee and then a visit from the BIA Northwest Regional Director Bryan Mercier. This afternoon there will be a continuation of the Financial Overview and then the Tribal Economics Project.
- The next class in the Being Tobacco Free series in Warm Springs is today at noon in the Family Resource Center. Learn about the benefits of living tobacco-free. Everyone is welcome – lunch is provided.
- Here are today’s Fitness Activities at the Community Center – There is a Youth Yoga class at 10am in the aerobics room, Functional Fitness is at noon in the social hall and Insanity Class at noon in the aerobics room.
- The Jefferson County Food Bank is located at 556 SE Seventh Street in Madras. They are open for distribution this afternoon.
- Voc Rehab in Warm Springs will hold an orientation session today at 3:00 in Behavioral Health Center conference room. Those who cannot make it to one of the scheduled weekly sessions can call 541-553-4952 to request a one-on-one orientation.
- There is a Warriors for Wellbriety meeting this evening at High Lookee Lodge. They have drum practice at 6:30 and the meeting is at 7:30.
- Tananawit is hosting an outdoor movie night fundraiser tomorrow at the Warm Springs Community Action Team building on campus. They are showing the movie Aqua Man at 7:30. Cost is $3, kids 12 and under is $1. They will accept can/bottle donations as payment as well.
- This Thursday is Independence Day. The tribal organization will be closed, as will the IHS clinic.
- This year’s 4th of July Parade in Warm Springs will honor Marines. Parade lineup will begin at 9am in front of the Family Resource Center and Presbyterian Church for participants, judging is at 10:00 and the parade will start at 11. A barbecue and family games will follow at the Community Center.
- The Todd Beamer Memorial run will be held this 4th of July in Madras. Registration will start at 6:15 that morning at Sahalee Park. Pre-registration at a discount is being take through tomorrow online. The events are a 6-mile walk, 5k run, 10k run and 2 mile fun run. The 6-mile walk starts at 7am, the bus for the 5 & 10k runs leaves at 7:30 and the 2-mile fun run is at 9. After the races, there will be food, a parade and celebration in the park. All proceeds go to the Todd Beamer Memorial Scholarship.
- The Downtown Park & Play event is on the 4th of July from 5-9pm on 5th Street in Madras. There will be food, music and vendors. Anyone interested in setting up as a vendor can visit http://downtownparkandplay.com/.
A Jefferson County Veterans Service Outreach officer comes to the Warm Springs Senior Center on the 3rd Tuesday of each month. Appointments are available for the morning by calling 541-475-5228.
In Warm Springs this 4th of July, fireworks should be lit at one of these designated locations: Community Center parking lot, Simnasho Longhouse parking lot, Agency Longhouse parking lot or the campus grassy area across from the courthouse. Remember to bring water or a fire extinguisher with you, safely dispose of used fireworks and clean up after yourselves. Let’s all do our part to make this 4th a safe one!