- The Boil Water Order remains in place for those on the Warm Springs Agency Water System. Testing will begin this week as part of the process in having the order lifted. Drinking water distribution continues at the Old Warm Springs Elementary School Library.
- Repairs were completed on the 5 pressure reducing valve stations last week. The George Street station is going to require additional work that will be completed in the weeks ahead. There continues to be issues with the West Hills Reservoir which could indicate a break. As that is investigated – everyone is urged to continue to conserve water.
- The Summer Meal Program moves to the Warm Springs K-8 Academy for the next two weeks. All youth ages 1-18 can eat for free weekdays. Breakfast will be served 9 to 9:30am and lunch from 11:30 until noon.
- The Warm Springs K-8 Summer School begins today for selected students which is a change from the last 2 summers. All enrolled Kindergarten students are invited to attend along with specific 1st thru 8th grade students who were sent a letter and registration form. Bus transportation will be provided. Summer school starts at 9. Kindergarten goes until 12:30 and 1st thru 8th until 3. All other students will return to school on Tuesday September 3rd.
- Madras High School Summer Bridge is today thru August 23rd from 8:30-12:30 each day. Breakfast is at 8am. This is for incoming Freshmen. Bus Transportation is being provided.
- Here is what is on the Tribal Council Agenda today: This morning, Land Use & Planning; and Cell Tower Leases Update. This afternoon’s items are FEMA Declaration Process; Warm Springs Power and Water Enterprise Bond Update; and EPA/CTWS Leadership Meeting.
- There is Senior Fitness Class today at 10:45am at the Senior Center. Participants are invited to eat a meal after – today they are having: smoked eels, green bean casserole and fresh fruit.
- Fitness class opportunities in Warm Springs today are: Functional Fitness at the Community Center aerobics room and Pi-Yo in pod A at the clinic. Both classes start at 12:10 and can be adapted for any fitness level. There is Fusion Fitness Class Tuesday morning at 6:00 at the Community Center.
- There is Women’s Prayer Group at the Presbyterian Church from 12:15-12:45 today. All women are welcome.
- Warm Springs Community Health at the Health & Wellness Center has a Behavior Health Clinic every Monday and Friday, walk-in appointments are available between 1 and 5pm. Services available include screenings, assessments, crisis intervention, and referrals to seek mental health and medical care, substance abuse treatment or other community resources. Children, adolescents and adults are welcome.
- The Vocational Rehabilitation Program will have an orientation session today at 3:00 in the Culture & Heritage Building conference room, 2nd Those who cannot make it to one of the scheduled weekly sessions, call 541-553-4952 to request a one-on-one orientation.
- Warm Springs Dental will have its Summer Break Kids Day to provide exams and fluoride varnish to kids of all ages tomorrow – no appointments needed. Check-in with patient registration and then the dental window anytime between 8 and 11am and 1-3pm. A parent or guardian must be present for the child to be seen.
- There is Community Acupuncture on Wednesday in the Community Aerobics Room. Stop by anytime between 8 and 11:30am for your free acupuncture session.
- The 9 Tribes of Oregon Prevention Camp will be happening in Warm Springs this week. They are having a community powwow on Wednesday at the agency longhouse. A dinner will begin at 5pm, the powwow at 6. They will serve baked salmon, barbecued pig and more. It is an alcohol, tobacco and other drug free event.
The final Downtown Madras Park & Play First Thursday event of the year is on September 5th. It’s a street fair with local vendors, music and food along 5th Street in Madras September 5th from 5-9pm.
Kids still have the rest of August to get in on the Warm Springs Library’s summer reading program. For every book you read, fill out a book slip from the library and put it in the drop box there for a chance to win prizes. The more book slips you turn in the better chance of winning. There will also be prizes for kids who turn in the most book slips. So, get in as many as you can by Friday, August 30th.
The Warm Springs Back to School Barbecue is coming up on Thursday, August 29th from 4-6pm at the K-8 Academy.
Heart of Oregon YouthBuild is recruiting youth ages 16-24 years for its Fall 2019 cohort starting October 14th. YouthBuild members earn their GED, high school diploma, college credit, and job skills. There is an education award awarded for participants. There are information sessions scheduled at their Cloverdale office in Sisters. The first one will be on August 22nd. Other dates are September 5, 12, 26 or October 3 also in Sisters. You MUST attend one of the information sessions to be considered for the YouthBuild Program. Details are available online at heartoforegon.org