The 2020 Census begins April 1st. The Census is now hiring. You can learn more online at 2020 census dot gov slash jobs (https://2020census.gov/en/jobs)
- Warm Springs Geo Visions is hosting an open house today to share with Tribal Members and the General Public about the work they do which includes the Cultural Resources Division which is dedicated to the protection and preservation of Cultural Resources. . The open house is today at the Geo Visions office in the Industrial Park from 10am – 2pm.
- KWSO will have a meeting of our Community Advisory Board today at 10am here at the Warm Springs Media Center. The meeting is open to the public. You can see the agenda and learn more at our website (https://kwso.org/about-kwso/policycompliance/)
- At Behavioral Health Center the Group “On Second Thought” will be meeting from 10am to 11am today
- Senior Fitness class is today at 10:45 at the Senior Center. After class, participants can eat a meal. Today’s meal will be Cream of Potato Bacon Soup.
- There is a Community Baby Shower today from 11am to 2pm at the Museum at Warm Springs. There will also be one tomorrow from 11-2:00 at the Madras Performing Arts Center. It’s free for expectant families and families of newborns 0 to 3 months old. There will be free gift bags, raffle prizes, giveaways, food, games, pampering services and photos.
- Warm Springs Community Health will be holding a flu shot clinic at the Museum at Warm Springs during the Community Baby Shower from 11am – 2pm at the Museum at Warm Springs. Community Members are all invited to get their flu vaccine.
- Functional Fitness Class is today at noon in the Community Center Aerobics Room.
- There is a Behavior Health Walk-In Clinic today – appointments are available between 1 and 5pm. The Medical Social Workers at the clinic can help with screenings, assessments, crisis intervention and many other things for children, adolescents and adults.
- The Jefferson County Library Film Center in Madras is showing – the 1974 version of MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS, rated PG, tonight. Belgian sleuth Hercule Poirot investigates an American industrialist’s murder aboard the world famous luxury train. Stars include Albert Finney, Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman. Showtime is 7:30. Films are free and refreshments are available. Learn more online at J C L D dot org. jcld.org
- Smith Rock State Park will host its annual Oregon Archaeology Celebration lecture series in October on Friday evenings at the park’s welcome center in Terrebonne. The talks are free and open to the public. There is a $5 day use parking fee. Today the presentation is “The Tribal History of the Oregon Paiutes, including the Story of Animal Village in the Smith Rock Area” with Jim Gardner.
The Jefferson County Cowdeo is tomorrow at 10am at the Fair Complex in Madras. Events include Sheep Riding, Calf Riding, Cow Riding, Goat Tail Un-decorating, Barrels, Scurry Race, Horseless Calf Ropin, Breakaway Roping, Flag Race, Critter Scramble & Stick Horse Race.
This coming Monday – Water and Wastewater Division of the Public Utilities Branch will be working alongside the GELCO contractor to finish the replacement and upgrade of the pressure reducing valves on the agency water system main lines. This work will be done at the George Street pressure reducing valve vault, the Kah-Nee-Ta vault and the South East vault (nearby the tribal administration building). The work is anticipated to take about three to four days. Reservoirs are being filled however there could be limited outages and residents are being notified. If you have any questions, call (541) 553-3246.
The Jefferson County School District 509J is holding Community Engagement Sessions this month. On Tuesday the 22nd they will meet at 5:30 in the Madras High School Commons and then on Wednesday the 23rd they will meet in Warm Springs at 5:30 in the K thru 8 Academy cafeteria.
If you are experiencing issues with your Warm Springs Telecom services – they ask you please call them at 541-615-0555. You must call in for technicians to respond, troubleshoot and resolve your issue.
Items are now being collected for the 2020 Warm Springs Point in Time Homeless Survey. You can provide for those in need who are currently experiencing homelessness by contributing useful items that can be dropped with Martha at the Commodities Building or Buffy at the Family Resource Center. https://kwso.org/2019/10/help-the-homeless/
The next Warm Springs Community Action Team Indianpreneurship Class will be held on 2 consecutive Saturdays all day – November 2nd and 9th. If you are interested in starting or growing a small business – this class is for you. Contact the Community Action Team to sign up.