- Warm Springs Recreation invites youth to the Community Center for spring break activities. There will be lots of things for school age kids to do each day.
The Warm Springs Youth Wellness Program at the Youth Center gym is open for youth. There are daily morning walks, group games, sports skill development, basketball and other physical activities plus healthy snacks. There’s a Lacrosse Camp this afternoon from 1-4:00 and a special guest from Linfield College.
- There is an application workshop for the Student Summer Work Program today at the Education Building. Attend either the 9am-noon or 1-4pm workshop and bring a Tribal ID or CIB, a school ID or transcript and a social security card. FMI: 541-553-3324.
- The Senior Wellness Center is having Senior lunch at noon – on the menu: beef enchiladas, Spanish rice black beans and birthday cake. Seniors 60 and older eat for free, 59 and under are $5 and youth under 13 are $3 at the Senior Wellness Center.
- Agency District Candidates are hosting a “Talk with the Candidates” opportunity with voters from 9:30-3:30 today at the Tribal Administration Building. Everyone is invited to stop by.
- There is Functional Fitness class today at noon in the Community Center Social Hall. and Insanity class today is cancelled.
- There is an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting today at noon at the counseling center and Narcotics Anonymous meeting at 6pm at the Shaker Church.
- There is Ichishkin Class today from noon-1:00 at the Museum. Bring your own lunch.
- There is a Family Movie showing today at 1:30 in the Community Center Social Hall.
- There is a Penny Carnival this evening in the Warm Springs Youth Center Gym from 6-8pm. There will be food, games, crafts and music. KWSO will have a booth set up and we look forward to seeing you!
Warm Springs Sanitation reminds residents to place their tote at the road. This will help them save time so they can do all the scheduled pick up with the staff and equipment they have available right now. If you have questions – call the landfill at 553-3163.
- There is a free workshop to learn about staying positive while job searching! It is tomorrow at 10am in the Computer Lab located on the top floor of the Education Building. Call 553-3324 for more details.
- There is a Job Information session for Teens tomorrow from 1-3pm at the Greeley Heights Community Building. It will cover topics about applying, prepping for interviews and being a successful employee.
- Computer Lab Assistance is available tomorrow at the Education Building from 1-4pm. There is no appointment needed. You can get practice using a computer, Word or Excel projects, and online job searches. There are tutorials available and staff will be there for assistance.
- 2019 Warm Springs Nation Little League – baseball, softball and t-ball – registrations are being taken from 8am to 4:30pm at the Community Center – tomorrow is the deadline to sign up. Practices begin April 1st. Managers and coaches are still needed. FMI: 541-325-3856.
- The Color run for Recreation is rescheduled for Friday @ 4pm. The Gym will be closing at 4 pm on Friday to set up for the round dance.
- This Friday and Saturday evenings it’s the Healing Our Spirits and Land Round Dance at the Warm Springs Community Center. There will be a pipe ceremony on Friday at 5:30 with the Round dance starting at 7 both Friday and Saturday Nights. All singers and everyone are welcome.
- The 2019 Simnasho Longhouse Root Feast will be Sunday April 7th starting at 9am. Waashat services will be held this Saturday starting at 10 at the Simnasho Longhouse followed by memorials and giveaways.
- The Madras VFW Post 12141 and its Auxiliary invites all people, veterans and non-veterans, to a free “Welcome Home Veterans” spaghetti dinner and events this Saturday from 4-8pm at the Erickson Aircraft Collection in Madras. There will be dinner from 5-6:30 and entertainment, raffles, auctions, kid friendly games and patriotic merchandise for sale. Donations are appreciated.
Madras High School’s Skills USA is having their 2nd annual community Talent show at the Madras Performing Arts Center next Tuesday and Wednesday April 2nd and 3rd at 7pm. Skills USA is an organization that helps develop student personal, workplace and technical skills grounded in academics.
The University of Oregon is offering the Indigenous Pre-College Academy this summer. The classes and workshops will cover college prep, the admissions process, financial aid, the unique challenges of being a Native scholar and various academic areas. It will be held July 21-28 at U of O in Eugene and it is open to students who will be in grades 9-12 in the coming school year. It is free, rooms and meals will be provided. Applications are due April 15. Get all of the details and apply online at “admissions dot U Oregon dot E D U forward slash I P C A. https://admissions.uoregon.edu/ipca
Through a partnership with East Cascades Works, Worksource Oregon and COCC – Warm Springs GED received a Grant called the Warm Spring Future Ready Oregon Grant will pay for eligible 2019 Spring Quarter GED students, fees, textbooks, test vouchers, test fees, and incentive payments of $25,00 per week for attendance. Students must be co-enrolled with Warm Springs Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act office and Worksource Oregon, and have 100% attendance in all enrolled classes to maintain eligibility for incentive payments. To enroll contact Melinda Poitra at the education Building Room 307 or call 541-553-3324. Spring GED classes start next week.
Tribal Council Election Day is Thursday April 4th. Voting is from 8am until 8pm at the Community Center, the Seekseequa Fire Hall and the Simnasho Longhouse. 8 individuals will be voted in to serve on the 28th Tribal Council. You can hear the Agency Candidates Saturday morning at 6am followed by the Simnasho candidates at 7am and Seekseequa at 7:30. You can also hear the candidates online at KWSO dot org.