Community Calendar for Tuesday March 12, 2019
- The Warm Springs K-8 Academy is having its spring book fair this week. Today it’s open from 7:45-3:30.
- Today’s Senior Lunch at noon is salmon Florentine, mashed potatoes, spicy Brussel sprouts and canned fruit. Seniors 60 and older eat for free, 59 and under are $5 and youth under 13 are $3 at the Senior Wellness Center.
- Today at noon at the Community Center – there’s Functional Fitness class in the social hall and Insanity in the aerobics room.
- The Jefferson County Food Bank is located at 556 SE Seventh Street in Madras. They are open for distribution this afternoon.
- Voc Rehab in Warm Springs will hold an orientation session today at 3:00 in Behavioral Health Center conference room. Those who cannot make it to one of the scheduled weekly sessions can call 541-553-4952 to request a one-on-one orientation.
- There is a Pathways Home Native Home Ownership class this evening from 5:30-7:30 at the Credit Building.
- The Museum at Warm Springs is hosting a free Corn Husk Bag class taught by Kelli Palmer. The first class is today at 5:30. Some weaving experience is preferred but not required. Space is limited – contact Tamera Moody at the Museum to sign up.
- There is a Wellbriety Warriors Accepting Recovery meeting this evening from 6:30-8:30 at the Community Center Social Hall. It is open to anyone seeking sobriety and wellness.
- Madras City Council will meet this evening at 7:00 at City Hall. It is open to the public.
- There is Community Acupuncture tomorrow in the Community Center Aerobics Room. Stop by anytime between 8 and 11:30am; it’s free.
- Heart of Oregon YouthBuild is recruiting young people ages 16-24 for its Spring cohort beginning in mid-April. The program is geared toward youth who either have dropped out or are on the verge of being dropped from traditional high school. Members can earn a GED, diploma, college credit and job skills working in the classroom and in the field. Anyone interested must attend an information session to be considered. The next info session is tomorrow from 5-6:30pm in Redmond. Call 541-526-1380 to get details and to sign up.
- The Warm Springs K-8 Academy will have a College & Career Night plus STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) activities for students and families on Thursday. Dinner starts at 5, activities are from 5:30-7pm. Cascades East Transit will hold a Warm Springs Open House event tomorrow at the same time in the K-8 Community Room. They want input to help CET prioritize future transit expansion projects. Stop by anytime between 5 and 7:30pm.
- An 8th grade orientation night is planned for this Thursday from 5:30-7pm at Madras High School. All incoming eighth graders and their parents/guardians should attend. Dinner begins at 5:30.
- Art Adventure Gallery invites folks to the opening reception of the exhibit “Hidden Treasures” this Thursday from 5:30-7pm at the gallery located on 5th Street in Madras.
There is still time for Tribal Council Candidates, who have not done an interview with KWSO, to do so. Please stop by or call KWSO at 541-553-1968 and schedule an appointment with either Liz or Bigg B. We are airing interviews in our special Tribal Council Election program now through April 3rd. Tribal Council Election Day is April 4th.
The University of Oregon is offering the Indigenous Pre-College Academy July 21-28 on campus in Eugene and it is open to students who will be in grades 9-12 in the coming school year. It is free, rooms and meals will be provided. Applications are due April 15. Get all of the details and apply online at https://admissions.uoregon.edu/ipca.
There is a Penny Carnival on March 28th in the Warm Springs Youth Center Gym from 6-8pm. There will be food, games, crafts and music. Anyone interested in setting up a booth should call the Prevention Program at 541-615-0112.
The Jefferson County School District 509-J has two positions opening for its Board of Directors. Anyone interested in running for Positions #4 and #5 in the May 21st vote-by-mail Special Election must file a declaration of candidacy or petition for nomination for office with the Elections Department of Jefferson County no later than 5pm on March 21st. The forms are available at the County Clerk’s office in Madras and online on the Jefferson County website or Secretary of State’s website.
2019 Warm Springs Nation Little League – baseball, softball and t-ball – registrations are being taken weekdays from 8am to 4:30pm at the Community Center. Baseball and softball tryouts will be March 19-21 and practices begin April 1st. Coaches and umpires need to complete forms and background checks. FMI: 541-325-3856.