A public meeting for Jefferson County School District 509J to discuss the Impact Aid Indian Policies and Procedures for FY 2019, will be held on January 4th at 6pm at the Warm Springs K-8 Academy. The District does this annually, specifically to give Native American parents and guardians the opportunity to offer comments and make recommendations regarding the Impact Aid application. A survey regarding the Impact Aid Indian Policies and Procedures is posted on the District website, the Warm Springs Library, Warm K-8 Academy, and Warm Springs ECE. Responses are being accepted through January 2nd.
SALEM, Ore. (AP) — A tax on insurance companies and some hospitals to provide health care for low-income Oregonians goes before voters next month, even after it was approved by the Legislature and signed by the governor in the 2017 legislative session. Three Republican lawmakers, arguing that costs would be shifted to consumers, gathered enough signatures for a referendum to allow voters to say yes or no to the assessments _ as the Democrats tend to call them_ or taxes, the Republicans’ favored wording.
Low income workers in the state of Washington are about to get another raise. On January 1st, the state’s minimum wage goes up to $11.50 an hour. That’s because in 2016, Washington voters passed an initiative that increases the wage to $13.50 an hour by the year 2020. The law also requires employers provide paid sick leave beginning January 1st. In Oregon, workers will have to wait until July 1st, when the minimum wage rises to $10.75 an hour. Employers in rural Oregon communities can pay less, while employers in the Portland metro area must pay a $12.00 an hour minimum wage.
All of the Madras High School Basketball teams are playing in the Summit Tournament Thursday through Saturday:
- Boys freshman: Thursday vs. Summit at 4:15pm at Pacific Crest Middle School, Friday vs. Redmond at 4pm at Summit High School and Saturday vs. Bend at 9:45am at Pacific Crest Middle School.
- Boys JV: Thursday vs. Summit at 6pm at Summit High, Friday vs. Redmond at 2:15pm at Pacific Crest and Saturday vs. Bend at 4:45 at Pacific Crest
- Boys Varsity: games are all played at Summit High School – Thursday vs. Summit at 7:45pm, Friday vs. Ridgeview at 4pm and Saturday vs. Grants Pass at 1:15pm
- Girls freshman: Thursday at Summit High School at 4:15pm, Friday at Pacific Crest at 2pm and Saturday at Pacific Crest at 3pm
- Girls JV: games will all be played at Pacific Crest Middle School – Thursday at 2:30pm, Friday at 12:30pm and Saturday at 11:30am
- Girls Varsity: Thursday at Bend High School at 6pm, Friday at Bend High at 7:30pm and Saturday at Summit at 4:45pm
The 54th Annual Warm Springs Indian Holiday Basketball Tournament is going on today through Saturday at the Warm Springs Community Center. Game 1 is this evening at 5:00 and features NW Hoopers – Celilo vs. Chi Hills of Chiloquin, Team Money from Warm Springs vs. Portland is the 6:30 game. And, the final game tonight is Burns vs. Tygh Valley at 8.