Community Calendar for Thursday September 6, 2018
FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS FOR Urbana “Toto” Ross
o Rosary & Eulogy Services will be held this (9/6) evening at 6 at the Bel-Air Funeral Home in Madras.
o Following the eulogy, all denominations, prayers, drummers and speakers are welcome.
o Tomorrow (9/7) morning from 9-9:30 there will be a final viewing at St. Patrick Catholic Church in Madras. The funeral Mass will begin at 10am.
o Burial will follow at the Agency Cemetery.
o A meal will be served after the burial at Urbana’s residence in Wolfe Point.
- Senior Breakfast is from 8:30-10:30. 60 and over eat for free, 59 and younger $5. Children 18 and under $3.
- The Community Health Education Team and OSU Extension is having jam making classes today at the Family Resource Center kitchen. There are two classes – the first from 10 to noon and the other from 1-3pm. You need to bring a quart of huckleberries or berries of any kind to participate. Call 541-615-0036 for more info.
- WorkSource Oregon is holding information sessions for all workers affected by the Kah-Nee-Ta closure. There will be sessions today at 10am and 1pm at the Greeley Heights Community Building and again tomorrow Morning at 10am at the same location. Another session will be held tomorrow at 2pm at the WorkSource Office next to DMV in Madras. There will also be a Job Fair at the Community Center on Monday September 10th from 10am – 3pm.
- There is an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting today at noon at the counseling center and Narcotics Anonymous meeting at 6pm at the Shaker Church.
- Fitness activities today at the Community Wellness Center: There’s Insanity class at 12:10 in the aerobics room and Functional Fitness in the Social Hall.
- The Madras Downtown Park and Play final First Thursday event of the year is today featuring live music, performers, food, and retail vendors from 5 to 9pm. The entertainment will be held along 5th Street from “C” to “E” Streets.
- Madras High School Freshman, JV & Varsity Volleyball play at Woodburn High School today
- Art Adventure Gallery is having an opening reception this evening for its 30 Year Retrospective Celebrating the Art of Mac Lange. It is from 5:30-8pm at the gallery located on 5th Street in Madras.
- Jefferson County Coffee Cuppers will be hosted by Edward Jones, located at 212 SW 4th Street in Madras tomorrow at 8am.
- The Jefferson County Library will have its Screen on the Green event tomorrow at Sahalee Park. Pre-show entertainment begins at 7:30pm and will feature “Twirl Girl” Angela Harris showing her hula hooping skills, and the audience will be invited to participate. The film will begin at 8pm and they will show Ferdinand, rated PG. Madras Bowl will sell drinks and candy. You should bring your own chairs and blankets. The film is free to watch.
- Metolius will have it’s annual “Spike and Rail Day” event this Saturday. It will kick off with a parade through Metolius at 11am. There will be games and activities at the City Park starting at noon. Concessions of food, gifts, and displays will be offered throughout the day. There will also be an old-fashion auction. Auction items can be viewed starting at noon and the auction begins at 3:00. Children 12 and under can eat lunch for free. A free concert wraps up the event starting at 5:00 pm featuring the group “Countryfied.”
The Jamie “Chili Guy” Tohet Wild Horse Race Memorial is September 29 at the Simnasho Rodeo Grounds. Events include a Wild Horse Race, 2-plus-1 (woman shanks) Wild Horse Race, ranch broncs, breakaway roping, junior and senior wild cold races, mini buckers, junior and senior broncs and extra kids’ events. There will also be a 16.2 mile Endurance Race open to all ages that will start at 8 that morning. Books are open. Wild Horse Race entries need to be paid in full one week before, all other events close the morning of the rodeo. Wild Horse Race entries call Gladys 541-460-9290 and all others contact Angela 325-2518.
Jefferson County Veterans’ Services is hosting the first annual Classic Car Show & Suicide Prevention Expo on September 22nd at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds. Vehicle registration is open until September 16. They are also looking for several volunteers for the event. For more information contact Kayla at 541-475-5228. More info is available at COVO-US.org.
The KWSO Community Advisory Board is meeting Friday September 14th from 2-4pm at the Warm Springs Media Center. Notice of the meeting and the proposed agenda is posted on our website. These meetings are open to the public.