Community Calendar for Friday March 15, 2019
- It’s the final day of the spring book fair at the K-8 Academy. You have until 1:30 to check it out today.
- The referendum on enrollment for Warm Springs Tribal Members is today. The referendum question asks Tribal voters to add the 1980 census to the list of baseline census years for determining Confederated Tribes blood quantum. Voting will take place from 8am until 8pm at the Community Center. Voters who will be out of town that day or have illness or a disability keeping them from voting, can get an absentee ballot from Olivia Wallulatum at the Vital Statistics office. All eligible tribal member voters – please be sure to vote today as there is a voter turnout requirement for the vote to be valid.
- There is a free workshop to learn about the the important of Soft Skills when looking for a job today 1:00 in the Computer Lab located on the top floor of the Education Building. Call 553-3324 for more details.
- At 10:45 this morning, there is Senior Fitness Class at the Senior Center. After class a meal will be provided to participants. Today’s menu is: chicken posole, brown rice, tortilla bread and fresh fruit.
- There is a Behavior Health Walk-In Clinic today – appointments are available between 1 and 5pm. The Medical Social Workers at the clinic can help with screenings, assessments, crisis intervention and many other things for children, adolescents and adults.
- Computer Lab Assistance is available today at the Education Building from 1-4pm. There is no appointment needed. You can get practice using a computer, Word or Excel projects, and online job searches. There are tutorials available and staff will be there for assistance.
- The Jefferson County Library Community Film Center’s Friday night movie will be “Boy Erased.” It will be shown at 7:30 in the Rodriguez Annex.
- Reburial services will be held tomorrow for ancestral remains returning to the Columbia River from New Zealand. Services will begin at 10am at Wishxam Cemetery in Dallesport, Washington. A meal will follow at the Celilo Longhouse.
Tribal Council Candidates who have not done an interview with KWSO should stop by today to do one. Come by or call KWSO at 541-553-1968 and schedule an appointment with either Liz or Bigg B. We are airing interviews in our special Tribal Council Election program now through April 3rd. Tribal Council Election Day is April 4th.
The Madras VFW Post 12141 and its Auxiliary invites all people, veterans and non-veterans, to a free “Welcome Home Veterans” spaghetti dinner and events on March 30 from 4-8pm at the Erickson Aircraft Collection in Madras. There will be dinner from 5-6:30 and entertainment, raffles, auctions, kid friendly games and patriotic merchandise for sale. Donations are appreciated.
This year’s Jefferson County Community Read is “Birding Without Borders” by Noah Strycker. It is a non-fiction book about the author’s travel around the world documenting thousands of species of birds. Art Adventure Gallery will once again feature an exhibit with artwork inspired by the Community Read selection. Artists in all mediums are welcome. Applications are available at the gallery and online at http://artadventuregallery.com/. Artwork is due April 26th.
2019 Warm Springs Nation Little League – baseball, softball and t-ball – registrations are being taken weekdays from 8am to 4:30pm at the Community Center. Baseball and softball tryouts will be March 19-21 and practices begin April 1st. Coaches and umpires need to complete forms and background checks. FMI: 541-325-3856.
The Johnson O’Malley Committee will cover costs for caps, gowns and tassels for graduates. Pick up J.O.M. Request Forms from Carroll Dick at the Old Boys’ Dorm. J.O.M. Committee is also able to help with an allowance for spring sports – elementary through high school. The deadline to submit a request is April 11th.