Community Calendar for Tuesday March 19, 2019
- The Warm Springs K-8 Academy is celebrating school pride this week with Spirit Week dress up days. Today is Comfy Day – wear your pajamas, slippers, sweats – your comfy clothes. Tomorrow is Sporty Sports Day. Thursday is Mismatch Day. And Friday will be Eagle Spirit & School Pride Day.
- A Jefferson County Veterans Service Outreach officer will be in Warm Springs at the Warm Springs Senior Center today. They will be available to answer questions during and after the senior meal today.
- Today’s Senior Lunch at noon is brisket & cabbage, rosemary roasted potatoes and fresh fruit. Seniors 60 and older eat for free, 59 and under are $5 and youth under 13 are $3 at the Senior Wellness Center.
- Today and Thursday, Agency District Candidates are hosting a “Talk with the Candidates” opportunity with voters from 9:30-3:30 at the Tribal Administration Building. Everyone is invited to stop by. They will do this again next Tuesday and Thursday.
- Today at noon at the Community Center – there’s Functional Fitness class in the social hall and Insanity in the aerobics room.
- The Jefferson County Food Bank is located at 556 SE Seventh Street in Madras. They are open for distribution this afternoon.
- Voc Rehab in Warm Springs will hold an orientation session today at 3:00 in Behavioral Health Center conference room. Those who cannot make it to one of the scheduled weekly sessions can call 541-553-4952 to request a one-on-one orientation.
- There is a Pathways Home Native Home Ownership class this evening from 5:30-7:30 at the Credit Building.
- The Jefferson County Library will have a free Family Craft Night this evening at 6:00 at the Rodriguez Annex. It’s open to all ages.
- There is a Wellbriety Warriors Accepting Recovery meeting this evening from 6:30-8:30 at the Community Center Social Hall. It is open to anyone seeking sobriety and wellness.
- A Jefferson County Victims Assistance advocate will be in Warm Springs tomorrow month at the Victims of Crime Services office. Folks can get help with things like case assistance, paperwork, and other resources. Appointments can also be made for other times. For information call Ken Clark 541-475-4452 or VOCS 553-2293.
- The Museum at Warm Springs “Living Tradition” honoree Maxine Switzler will have a presentation of her work tomorrow at the Museum. The public is invited to stop by between 10am and 4pm as she shares about the Art of Beadwork.
- Lil’ Miss Warm Springs meetings are held on Wednesdays from 6-7:30pm. Participation in the sessions will allow girls to build on their cultural knowledge, develop confidence, public speaking skills and spend time with mentors and peers. The Lil’ Miss Warm Springs Pageant is tentatively scheduled for May 1st.
- Tananawit, a community of Warm Springs Artists, is having a Membership Kickoff Event & Dinner on Thursday at 5pm at the Museum at Warm Springs. It’s open to artists, community members, and anyone else interested in learning more about the organization. There will be a silent auction, artist award ceremony and guest speakers.
- The Jefferson County School District 509-J has two positions opening for its Board of Directors. Anyone interested in running for Positions #4 and #5 in the May 21st vote-by-mail Special Election must file a declaration of candidacy or petition for nomination for office with the Elections Department of Jefferson County no later than 5pm this Thursday. The forms are available at the County Clerk’s office in Madras and online on the Jefferson County website or Secretary of State’s website.
- Heart of Oregon YouthBuild is recruiting young people ages 16-24 for its Spring cohort beginning in mid-April. The program is geared toward youth who either have dropped out or are on the verge of being dropped from traditional high school. Members can earn a GED, diploma, college credit and job skills working in the classroom and in the field. Anyone interested must attend an information session to be considered. The next info session is this Thursday from 5-6:30pm in Sisters. Call 541-526-1380 to get details and to sign up.
The Miss Warm Springs Pageant is on March 27th at 6pm at the Agency Longhouse. Persons who want to run for the Miss Warm Springs title should submit applications by 5pm this Friday to be eligible. Applications and letters of recommendation can be downloaded from the tribal website. For more information contact Nor Sampson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2019 Warm Springs Nation Little League – baseball, softball and t-ball – registrations are being taken weekdays from 8am to 4:30pm at the Community Center up until March 29th. Practices begin April 1st. Managers and coaches are still needed. FMI: 541-325-3856.
The Community Action Team will have a Building Native Communities Financial Skills for Families class that will cover all six sessions on March 27th – 8:30 to 4:30. To register call 541-553-3148.