Community Calendar for Wednesday June 12, 2019
- The project to repair the broken 14 inch water main in the Shitike Creek is being coordinated and could start by the end of this week. Keep listening to KWSO for details. Notice will be given when work is scheduled to begin. During the repair – there will be a complete water outage for the Agency Area including – Campus, West Hills, Tenino Valley, Tenino Apartments, Elliott Heights, Senior Housing, Trailer Courts, and Greeley Heights.
- Water outages will also affect businesses located along Highway 26.
- Everyone is reminded to conserve water – no watering the lawn or using excessive water. This will help to help maintain reservoir levels.
- Portable toilets are placed throughout the community for use and there are showers with hot water set up at the Old Warm Springs Elementary School.
- The boil water order remains in place and will continue until after the broken water main is fixed. That means you should boil water for drinking or cooking, washing dishes, brushing teeth & making ice OR else use bottled water.
- This is affecting everyone in Greeley Heights, Elliot Heights, Trailer Courts, Senior Housing, Tenino Apartments, Tenino Valley, West Hills, Campus Area, Miller Heights, Upper Dry Creek, Sunnyside, Wolfe Point and Kah-nee-ta.
- Drinking water distribution is taking place at the Old Elementary School Library.
- A Reservation Wide BURN BAN is in effect for Warm Springs due to dry fuel conditions and lack of water for fire suppression, it is critical we all take precautions to keep the community safe. The Burn Ban is for all outside burning including camp fires and fireworks are prohibited as well.
- There is Community Acupuncture this morning in the Community Aerobics Room. Stop by anytime between 8 and 11:30am.
- A Financial Skills for Families class for WEDD Summer Workers will be held today and tomorrow at the community action team office. It will be held 9 to 3:00 both days and is a requirement for anyone working with the Student Summer Work Program
- The Native American Program Legal Aid Services of Oregon will have a walk-in intake clinic today from 10am until noon at the Community Action Team office. Free civil legal service is available to eligible tribal members. Stop by to find out if the program can help with your legal need.
- Wellbriety Court group meets at 11 this morning at the Behavioral Health Center. There is also a Women’s Group at 1, Anger Management class at 4:00 and an evening Alcoholics Anonymous meeting at 7.
- Mom, Dad & Baby Group is today from 2-3pm at the Family Resource Center. This is for all parents, families & caregivers who take care of a baby or young child. They offer a snack, an activity, a craft and breastfeeding support. To learn more contact MCH Nurse Allie Anderson at 541-553-2460.
- Warm Springs Christian Fellowship has bible study at 6pm at the Senior Center.
- The Warm Springs Baptist Church has Bible Study and Prayer this evening at 6:00.
The Madras High School girls’ basketball program is having a fundraising car wash and can/bottle drive on Friday in the Les Schwab parking lot from 10am to 2pm. If you need cans and bottles picked up, contact one of the players or coaches Jerin Say, Butch David or Tony Holliday.
Tribal Council is advertising vacancies on the Water Control Board, Ventures Board, Tribal Employment Rights Office Commission and Credit Board. Letters of interest and resumes must be submitted to Secretary- Treasurer Michele Stacona by 5pm Friday.
The 2019 Warm Springs Outdoor Market will kick off on Friday from 10am to 6pm with a free hot dog BBQ from 11:30-2pm. The market will be on campus next to the Community Action Team office, on the corner of Paiute Ave. & Warm Springs St. Interested vendors should contact Emily Courtney at 541-553-3148.
The Pi-Ume-Sha Treaty Days Horse & Traditional Parade will begin at 11am on Saturday, June 29th. Traditional line-up starts at 9:30 and horse line-up begins at 10:15 in front of the old Elementary School.
The BIA General Assistance office is now only giving out and accepting applications from 9am-11am Monday-Friday. After G.A. applications are returned, an intake appointment must be scheduled. The office is closed during the lunch hour from noon to 1. After 1pm the office is only open for scheduled appointments, and to drop off monthly activity logs.
A Jefferson County Veterans Expo will be held Thursday June 20th from 10am to 2pm at 860 SW Madison Street in Madras. It is a free family-friendly event designed to educate about veterans issues, services and resources. There will also be a free barbecue, haircuts, massages, kid’s events and mindfulness workshops.
The Boys and Girls Club of Warm Springs is doing a Squares raffle with the drawing set for this Friday. Money raised will support club operations. Squares are $10 each and the winner will take half the pot. There are 100 squares in all. You can stop by the club to purchase your square.