Today is the Labor Day holiday and offices in Warm Springs are closed.
It’s back to school on Tuesday for 1st thru 8th grade students at the Warm Springs K-8 Academy. Kindergarten students will do small groups on Wednesday and Thursday. Tomorrow is the first day of school for freshman at Madras High School and upper classman will start Wednesday. For back to school information including bus schedules visit kwso dot org.
- Warm Springs Head Start is now accepting Applications for 3 & 4 year olds for the new school year. Learn more by stopping by Warm Springs Early Childhood Education or call 541-553-3242. The will hold their back to school open house Tuesday from 9am to 3pm at ECE. It is a chance to meet your child’s teacher, other Head Start staff and classrooms. It will take about an hour to complete all of the stations.
- A National Recovery Month & Back to School Powwow will take place Tuesday in front of the Behavioral Health Center from 5:30-7:30pm. All drums are welcome. Everyone is welcome.
The Native American Program Legal Aid Services of Oregon is offering free civil legal services in specialized areas to eligible tribal members. The next intake clinic will be Wednesday, from 1:30-3:30pm the Community Action Team office. Walk-ins are welcome.
- Heart of Oregon YouthBuild is recruiting youth ages 16-24 years for its Fall 2019 cohort starting October 14th. YouthBuild members earn their GED, high school diploma, college credit, and job skills. There is an education award awarded for participants. The next information session is this Thursday in Sisters. You MUST attend one of the information sessions to be considered for the YouthBuild Program. Details are available online at heart of Oregon dot org. (www.heartoforegon.org)
- The final Downtown Madras Park & Play First Thursday event of the year is Thursday. It’s a street fair with local vendors, music and food along 5th Street in Madras September 5th from 5-9pm.
- “In A Landscape,” a Hunter Noack concert will take place Thursday, an hour before sunset, in the open at the end of County Line Road. Free tickets are available for Tribal Members – and you can get them by talking with Dustin Seyler at the Community Action Team office.
The Madras High School Girls Basketball Team is selling apples for a fundraiser. You can pre-order apples for pick up on September 13th. The Oregon grown apples are $25/box. Order from coach Say or coach David. Apples can be canned, used for baking or frozen.
The Annual MAC Dash is coming up September 14th at the Madras Aquatic Center. The deadline to register is September 8th. All proceeds from the event go to In-water programs for the MAC. There is also a Middle MAC Dash for kids 11-14 and a mini-MAC Dash for children 10 and under – both kids events are free but registration is still required. Visit MAC Rec District dot com to sign up. https://www.macrecdistrict.com/mac-dash/