Today is September 26 – there are 188 days left until Census 2020 begins. Every 10 years – census results are used to provide data for many federally funded services and that’s why the Warm Springs Complete Count Committee encourages everyone to be counted.
- At Madras High School today: it’s Twin Day for spirit week and students will vote for Homecoming King and Queen today.
- Today at the Behavioral Health Center – Alcoholics Anonymous meets today at noon.
- Narcotics Anonymous meets at the Shaker Church this evening at 6.
- Functional Fitness class is in the noon hour today in the Community Center Social Hall.
- The Senior Wellness Center is having Senior lunch at noon – on the menu: Salisbury Steak with Mashed Potatoes and Vegetables. Seniors 60 and older eat for free, 59 and under are $5 and youth under 13 are $3 at the Senior Wellness Center.
- Snack Attack is Tuesdays & Thursdays at the Community Center Social Hall from 3:30-5.
- Warm Springs K8 Cross Country is a Pilot Butte Middle School today. Volleyball hosts Obsidian today at 4.
- There is a Ceremonial Hunters Meeting today from 4-6pm at thje Greeley Heights Community Building.
- There is a potluck retirement dinner for Stanley “Bear Tracks” Simtustus tomorrow at noon at the Simnasho Longhouse. Everyone is welcome.
- The 14th annual dancing in the square powwow will be held this Friday at Pioneer Square in Portland from noon until 7pm. Grand Entry is at 3. The event is hosted by the Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board.
- The memorial and stone setting for Deborah Brown Scott, April Juanita Scott and Grace Sybil Kalama will be held on Saturday. The stone setting will be at the Simnasho Cemetery at 10am . A meal and giveaway will follow at the Simnasho Longhouse. Drummers are requested.
- There is a fundraiser for the Warm Springs Police Department D.A.R.E. program on Saturday. It’s a Car, Truck & Bike Show at Indian Head Casino from Noon until 5pm. They will have Food, Music and Fun with all proceeds going to D.A.R.E.
- The 7th annual Jim Pepper Native Arts Festival is this Saturday at Parkrose High School in Portland. To learn more about the event and get vendor information – go online to Jim Pepper Fest dot net. The event brings together Native Music, Arts, Dance, Food and Community.
Sunday Washut Services will begin again this Sunday at the Simnasho Longhouse.
There will be a meeting of the KWSO Community Advisory Board next Monday at 3pm here at the Warm Springs Media Center. The meeting is open to the public.
Madras Football and Girls Basketball will benefit from a 4 person golf scramble tournament on October 12th at Desert Peaks in Madras. Please sign up by October 5th by talking with Coach Taylor, Coach Say or Coach David.
Become a SMART Reader. SMART stands for “start making a reader today” and is a volunteer program that pairs readers with 1st grade students in Warm Springs. On Thursdays from 4-5pm they get together at the Warm Springs K-8 Academy afterschool 21st Century Learning Program. If you are interested – call 541-797-7726.
Volunteers are now being recruited for the Warm Springs Tribes 2020 Point in Time Survey. The survey is an annual effort to identify the number of people in our community that do not have a stable, safe and secure place to live – including those temporarily living with family or friends. Doing the annual count helps with planning and brining resources to address housing needs. There will be a Volunteer Information Session on October 1st at 5:30pm the Tribal Social Services Building in the Industrial Park. Contact Buffy Hurtado to learn more at 541-615-0141.
The Museum at Warm Springs is accepting artwork for the 2019 Tribal member Art Exhibit. Artwork is being accepted through Friday October 4th. The Exhibit will open on October 24th. Contact Natalie at the Museum if you have any questions.
The Johnson O’Malley Committee for Warm Springs Families is now accepting Applications for the fall activity allowance. This can be for activities such as Rodeo, Dance, Sports, Camps, etc. You can pick up an application at the Higher Education Office upstairs at the Education Building or online packets can be downloaded at www.kwso.org. The deadline to apply is Monday September 30th.