Community Calendar for Friday April 26, 2019
- The Simnasho Longhouse Clean Up today has been cancelled and will be rescheduled.
- A senior citizen fitness class is held Monday, Wednesday & Friday at 10:45 at the Senior Building. After class, participants can eat brunch. Today’s meal will be potato & sausage soups, crackers and fruit.
- There is a Behavior Health Walk-In Clinic today – appointments are available between 1 and 5pm. The Medical Social Workers at the clinic can help with screenings, assessments, crisis intervention and many other things for children, adolescents and adults.
- Tomorrow is the Warm Springs Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Parade at 10am followed by a meal and honor ceremony at the Community Center. They will also have a silent auction and a mini powwow.
- A memorial for Edward Spino, Jr. and Kamiken Spino will take place tomorrow. The stone unveiling for Edward will be at 7am at Simnasho Cemetery and for Kamiken at 8:30am at Dry Creek Cemetery. A meal and giveaway will follow at the agency longhouse.
The Native Youth Exploring Higher Education summer camp at Washington State University is taking applications now through June 15th. The free camp is July 15-19 and is open to students who will enter grades 9-10 in the fall. It’s for students to learn about college opportunities and education. Information and registration is available online at https://native.wsu.edu/nyehe/
A Small Business Conference will be hosted by the Warm Springs Chamber of Commerce and Community Action Team on May 4th at the Community Center starting at 8:30 that morning. It will focus on maintaining successful businesses on the reservation. FMI: Dustin Seyler 541-553-3148.
To vote in Oregon you must be 18 or older and a resident. To register online you do need an Oregon Driver’s License or state ID. Paper registration forms are available at your county clerk’s office or at the Warm Springs Planning Department in the Tribal Administration Building, and at KWSO. To vote in the upcoming May 21st election , that includes 2 seats on the 509J School Board – you must be registered by April 30th. You can register to vote online by going on the KWSO website, click on the voter registration box.
2019 Tribal Salmon Camp is being hosted by the Nez Perce Tribe at Camp Wittman August 11-17. Students in grades 6-8 who are members or descendants from the four treaty tribes may apply. It’s a free six-day camp and a stipend will be provided after successful completion. They will learn about salmon, restoration projects, and traditional ecology through hands on experience with tribal professionals. To apply go to www.critfc.org. The deadline is May 31st.
Tananawit and the Warm Springs Community Action Team are hiring a part-time Warm Springs Outdoor Market Coordinator. The deadline to submit resumes is May 3rd. You can submit them to firstname.lastname@example.org or at the Community Action Team Office. Call at 541-553-3148 if you have any questions.