Today is Indigenous Peoples Day
- The Warm Springs IHS Clinic is closed today. Tribal Programs are all open.
- It’s a late start Monday for Jefferson County 509J schools. That means the school day starts 90 minutes later than usual.
- Tribal Council is in Session today, on their agenda is: Review Minutes/Resolutions at 9am, BIRF update at 10am, ICF Update/KNT at 11am and Medicare Update at 1:30pm.
- Senior fitness class is this morning at 10:45 at the Senior Center. Participants are invited to eat brunch after – today they are having Teriyaki Chicken.
- There is Women’s Prayer Group at the Presbyterian Church from 12:15-12:45 today. All women are welcome.
- Warm Springs Community Health at the Health & Wellness Center has a Behavior Health Clinic every Monday and Friday, walk-in appointments are available between 1 and 5pm. Services available include screenings, assessments, crisis intervention, and referrals to seek mental health and medical care, substance abuse treatment or other community resources. Children, adolescents and adults are welcome.
- At the Behavioral Health Center today: Women’s Talking Circle from 2pm-3pm, Adolescent Substance abuse education from 4pm-5pm and Aftercare Continuing Care from 5:30pm-6:30pm
- The Jefferson County School District 509J School Board meetings in Warm Springs tonight. Their work session begins at 5:30 and the Board meeting starts at 7pm and is open to the public. The district is holding Community Engagement Sessions this month. On Tuesday the 22nd they will meet at 5:30 in the Madras High School Commons and then on Wednesday the 23rd they will meet in Warm Springs at 5:30 in the K thru 8 Academy cafeteria.
The Great Oregon ShakeOut earthquake drill, the world’s largest earthquake drill, takes place this Thursday at 10:17am. More than 600,000 Oregonians are already registered. Great ShakeOut earthquake drills are an opportunity to practice how to be safer during earthquakes by knowing how to “drop, cover and hold on”. You can register at shakeout.org to participate and be counted.
The IIM or Individual Indian Money office for the Bureau of Indian affairs Warm Springs Agency is closed. If you need assistance – you can call the Trust Beneficiary Center at 888-678-6836 or call Kevin Moore at the Umatilla Agency at 541-278-3786.
A Jefferson County Veterans Service Outreach officer will be in Warm Springs at the Warm Springs Senior Center on the 3rd Tuesday of each month. Appointments are available for the morning by calling 541-475-5228. Otherwise, the Veteran’s Service Officer will be available to answer questions during and after the senior meal that day.
10/17 The Madras Wrestling Club will be holding sign-ups on Thursday October 17th from 4-6pm at the Jefferson County Middle School. Practices for Kindergarten and 1st grade will be held Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5-6pm in the Jefferson County Middle School wrestling room with the first practice being on October 29th. Practices for 2nd through 8th Grade will be held Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:30-7pm in the Madras High School wrestling room. The Cost for Registration is $55 for Kindergarten and 1st Grade and $70 for 2nd through 8th Grade. Registration includes your USA Wrestling Card and a Madras Wrestling T-Shirt.
It’s October 14th and there are 170 days left until the 2020 census begins – the Warm Springs Complete Count Committee reminds you that the Census is now hiring. Learn more about census jobs at 2020 census dot gov slash jobs (https://2020census.gov/en/jobs).